Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Christian Albums That Rock


I'd be lying if I weren't a tad grateful for Left Cheek asking me to be involved in this little post idea of his. Usually each week I am, at the very least, able to find something that I think you guys would find interesting. For some reason the well has run dry. I am finding it hard to think of a Christian Album that rocks since, let's face it, most of them are trite crap. Am I being too harsh? Thankfully, back in the day there was a great little Christian record label called Tooth & Nail Records which put out some awesome music from The Christian underground. Thought it is more commercial today they still manage to put some pretty decent music. Here are some of my favorites.

The Supertones - Adventures Of The O.C. Supertones: This is probably the album that started it all for me. Kickin' horns, thrashing guitar, and plenty of enegery. Even secular ska fans love The Supertones. I remember being up late one night and discovering a Christian music video show that didn't play M.W. Smith. They introduced me to a lot of the bands I now like. So far I have seen them twice. Each time I leave a little bruised, very sweaty and tired, but uplifted by the fun-time music they perform.

The Newsboys - Take Me To Your Leader: Would you believe I hung out at a Christian bookstore watching a live telecast to celebrate the release of this album? Sure they are a tad corny and out of date, but let's face it. They are fun! It is a bit poppy, but the music is easy to dance to and sing along with.

Beanbag - Free Signal: I got a lot of heat from my friends for liking this band when they opened up for Newsboys a few years ago. They were hardcore. I mean real hardcore. The announcer joked how they scared children. I don't care. I loved it. I tried to explain to them how bands like Newsboys and Sonicflood were for people like them. Beanbag were for people like me. Though I think they have long been broken up.

The Blamed - 21: I miss this album. Punk music at its best. Not the poppy crap you heard in the 90's. This was the real deal. Edgy, tough, yet with a message.

That is all I can think of for the time being. If I come up with any more I'll let you know. I just noticed that I think most of these albums aren't available anymre.

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:29 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

The only act you mentioned that I'm familiar with is Newsboys. Can't say I would have chosen that;) and I don't think you were harsh at all is your assessment of "Christian" albums in general.

12:53 PM  
Blogger jasdye said...

and before t&n, there was broken aka brainstorm artists intl. for my money, that's where the genius was for several, several years. (also, there was grrr! records, which had an eclectic bunch of performers based here in chicago at the jesus people usa commune in uptown. Rez Band, a bunch of hardcore punk, folk and some Celtic punk to round things out).

newsboys was fun. take me to your leader was not my fave of their albums (btw, i used to hang out at the christian bookstore so much it was like a second home. yeah, now who's cheesy?

and i much preferred the harder-edged (and more lyrically astute) styles of Five Iron Frenzy over Supertones. but again, who would argue with fun?

i've never heard of beanbag, though.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Art,
I know I know, I just don't like being one of those people who does nothing but complain about the state of Christian affairs. As for the other bands, they were very good to me in the early days of my faith. ha ha.

Jas,
I too preferred harder edged over the softer styles. I haven't heard of those other record labels. Ahh the things I missed. I vaguely remember a local christian punk scene that had a record label called Flaming Tart or something. Sadly it ended just as I found out about it. I too enjoy five iron frenzy, though I thought the pants opera was crap.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

There's a big movement in "extreme" music (i.e. metal) that focuses on Christian bands. I think the big label is Solid State, but a lot more labels are carrying bands like Underoath, Norma Jean, Becoming the Archetype and Demon Hunter.

Anyhoo, Happy New Year! And what happened to Reforming Slacker?

7:24 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

...and of course the Blamed, who are on Tooth and Nail, which owns Solid State! I do loves the Punk!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, the Newsboys??
I guess we all get ONE guilty
Christian-music pleasure.
I suppose I would have to confess
a certain album by Petra that got me to do air-drum solos on occasion. (Air-drum solos are a lot easier than trying to impersonate John Schlitt....or say his name without giggling, for that matter)
I was really into Starflyer 59, and I liked Morella's Forest, too.
SF59 put out 1 really great album, 2 great EPs, then started recycling, and I think the guitarist strained his neck shoe-gazing. MF had 1 really good noise-rock album with a pinch of melody, and their second album was ok, then I don't know what happened. After that, there was nothing that I came across that wasn't some tired 3-years-late rehash of whatever was the 'it' genre in music. I trump you all...
I WORKED at a Christian bookstore. I used the promo CDs as coasters.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home