Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Poet Of Exile


Every so often I feel the need to pull one of Bei Dao's poems off my shelf to read. Though they can be difficult to grasp you can feel his isolation being an exile. How much of a fan am I? This is sad really. I already owned soft-cover copies of all his books when I ordered hardbound versions. I remember he was the first poet I ever saw at first Dodge Poetry Festival I attended. Here are a few poems written by Dao. Enjoy.

It is ironic how I keep being drawn to Old Snow, a book focussing almost entirely on his exile. I want to write my own version being a person who's lived in the same area his whole life. I have to admit I am not sure what I shall write about.

And would whoever decides these things finally give him The Noble Prize?

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:54 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

Never read his work but I scanned through those you linked to at Jacket... they look very interesting. Something I would read if I had time to read.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Too_Lively said...

I will certainly check him out.

I have enjoyed some of the other newer poets you have introduced me to. I read a lot of old stuff while neglecting current talents. I have made lists and looked up many of the authors you've blogged about. Thank you.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Art,
I think you may enjoy it. Take it with a grain of salt though. It can be a bit thick.

Too-
Never ever give up the old stuff. There is a good reason why it has lasted the test of time. If anything, I need to read some of the older stuff.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

OK, you've definitely got me interested! If I were to begin checking out Bei Doa, would you recommend Old Snow as a launching pad?

PS - I feel your fan pain. I already own 7 complete collections of Shakespeare, not to mention more books of criticism and interpretations than I can count...

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home