Monday, November 19, 2007

John Reilly Band


This friday a friend of mine invited me to go see a local Christian group. I don't know if I have ever expressed my personal tastes in CCM, but I tend think the greater majority of it is crap. There are several exceptions to that rule like 3rd Day, Delirious, or The Supertones. Now having had the opportunity to witness the craptacular performances of many local artists while working in a cafe (I've seen some so bad they chased customers from the room) ever so often one does pop out to show real promise and a potential to go national. That is more than the case for the band Reilly. All I can say is wow! Their music was upbeat and poppy with moments of really bold music writing delving deeper than the typical three chord mantra. For one they had a violin player occassionally joined by a second violin! Though they tended to be more on the arty side they weren't overhanded about it. Sorry, I tend to find the more art/rock to get kind of boring which is why I shy away from Sufjan Stevens (sorry Ken). They rocked out in their own fashion engaging the predominately teenage audience. And we all know how fickle they can be. My only problem is they on occassion wrote very typical Christian lyrics. Other than that I see big things for these guys. If you get the chance to check them out I highly recommend it.

UPDATE: Found a Video For You To Check Out.

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:11 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This makes me laugh, because when I saw the title, "John Reilly Band", I immediately thought of John C. Reilly, the actor starring in the upcoming movie, "Walk Hard", a hilarious new movie, coming out this X'mas. I thought for sure this was part of that...

Still, I checked out their video on their site. That's a pretty cool sound, with the flute & the 2 violins.

Thanks for the heads up!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Never heard of 'em. I may check it out though. Funny thing: I told someone that I'm going to see Rev. Horton Heat and they assumed that it's a Christian act.

9:02 AM  
Blogger jasdye said...

seeing them reminded me of the Urban Hillbilly Quartet, a beautiful pastiche of several musical styles that i found at a little cafe on the north side. they were also a "christian band" but way beneath the radar. too good for the radar, i think. hopefully, that won't happen to the ike reilly assassination above, or whateverit'scalled.

oh, and the flute playing reminded me, of course, of jethro tull.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home