Saturday, September 01, 2007

What I've Been Digging: August Edition


Akira Yoshimura - On Parole: Sadly, this is only one of his twenty books that have been translated into english. Though he focuses on Japan and Japanese culture you can still find yourself understanding and knowing the characters in his books. They are so real and vivid I found myself thinking I knew the guy in real life. This was my second time reading the book and I still found myself going nuts over the end.

Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars: The experience is better live, but their mix of reggae and African music styles is up beat and positive without being overly sentimental. Whenever they sing about heavier issues they do it without any sense of feeling sorry for themselves. Even though they did form in a war torn country.

Sagami: I only go there once a year for my birthday, and it never disappoints. The sushi chef's are top quality unlike a lot of the junk you get in the supermarket. They know what they are doing and know how to make a great presentation. I recommend when you order the meal get the salad with ginger dressing and finish it off with green tea ice cream.

Torchwood: A spin off of the new Doctor Who Series it is a disappointing X-Files. I enjoyed it to a point and am not sorry I watched it. At the end I realized I didn't like any of the characters (there wasn't a decent one in the bunch) and they ripped off a lot of the typical story lines like people falling through time and a man releases satan to destroy the earth. When I heard they were giving the character of Captain Jack I thought it'd be great because you enjoyed the character and wanted to find out about his past because he was a time agent and for some reason was missing two years of his memory. I enjoyed it, but would only really recommend it for die hard sci-fi fans.

Sitting Out On My Porch: Sorry, this is something you'd have to experience yourself. There is something just so relaxing about it.

Pop! Goes My Heart: I haven't seen the movie Music and Lyrics yet. From what I've heard it's actually kind of funny for a chick flick. When my friend showed me the video for 'Pop! Goes My Heart!' I couldn't help laughing because it is so 80's!

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 9:27 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennwith2ns said...

Starbucks is with you on the porch thing. All of their summer promotional materials had a "Heard on the Porch" theme. It got really cheesy. But I think you're right--there's nothing quite like it.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Art said...

"Sitting Out On My Porch"... I'm with you on that one.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Early Sunday mornings with a cup of coffee and the Times Book Review and early evenings with a cup of coffee, soft music playing through the windows, and my son sleeping at my side made for some of my best moments this summer.

I was looking forward to Torchwood, but now am feeling the doubts...I'll give the pilot a chance, though.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Jenn,
I saw all those porch sitting things. It was interesting.

Art,
I don't know what it is man. It's just a great way to spend an evening or a morning or an afternoon.

Chris,
If you don't have to pay to watch Torchwood then still watch it. I might just have gotten my hopes up too high.

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home