Saturday, August 18, 2007

Kerouac: The Original Scroll


The picture to the right is the original scroll Jack Kerouac containing the first draft of "On The Road." Having just picked up a copy of The Original Scroll I am a glutton for punishment because there are no paragraph breaks. By the looks of things you can tell he wrote the book in three weeks by the books lay out. I have never read "On The Road" except for the first few pages a number of years ago so I am wondering if I am wasting my time starting here and not reading the original novel. We shall soon see. Silliman found a sight that posted dozens of the original book covers including one designed by Kerouac. Enjoy.

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 8:29 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

Man, that scroll looks pretty intimidating for the relatively uninitiated. I'd start with the novelization first! Either way, good luck!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Too_Lively said...

Never a waste of time, although I would be pretty intimidated by that scroll.

8:19 AM  
Blogger jasdye said...

i, also, would be very afraid to cross that scroll in a well-lighted area, with plenty of comfortable seats.

in a dark alley, though, i think i could take it.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Art,
Much like with James Joyce I am a glutton for punishment. I think I read Ulysses, I know I looked at the words, but I don't know what i actually read. It was a painful experience.

Too-Lively,
Much like above, we'll see. If I don't comprehend then it may be a waste of time. ha ha.

Jas,
I am sure I will fall asleep more than once reading this book.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Just picked it up myself, and am eagerly anticipating the punishment to come. The NYT Book Review had a great write-up of it, and also printed some of the original international covers to boot.

And no worries, I don't think we're going to get the same punishment Ulysses gave (my impressions of reading it are the same as yours), although my yardstick for "painful reading" remains Gravity's Rainbow, which to this day makes me simultaneously cower in fear and curious to crack it open again for a re-match.

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Judy R said...

Hi great reading yourr post

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home