Saturday, July 14, 2007

Miscellany


I wish I could remember who it was that first point out to me The Bible Fight game, but apparently there are some Christians who enjoy it as well. I wasn't too interested in the game myself. I'd much rather protect villagers from being carried off.

***

After reading Christopher Hitchens' book God Is Not Great and hearing his comments on Jerry Falwell I have come to the conclusion that Hitchens is the atheists Jerry Falwell. Think about it: 1) Both make outrageous claims 2) Both claim to speak for the whole of the people the represent 3) Both enjoy imensely grabbing as much as the spotlight as they possibly can. Hat tip to Slacker for first bringing this video to my attention. Though I do not think Falwell ever flipped off an audience for hissing him.

Added points if you can guess what picture came up when I did a google image search of Hitchens book by title. Even I was surprised.

***

What do you value? I have to admit this video choked me up a bit. Hat tip to Pulpit Pimps.

***

Though Millinerd assures me it is no big deal he does make it sound so attractive to be visiting Greece, Constantinople, and Turkey. OF course I wouldn't know if it wasn't a big deal or not since I haven't been outside of New Jersey for more than a weekend in a few years.

***

I happened to catch the tale end of this interview with local religious guru Shane Claiborne. It is a good interview and at the very least he is trying to practice what he preaches. He conveniently skates around the issue of salvation in a much more poetic and less straight forward fashion than most people I have heard. I still liked some of the things he had to say and what he is trying to do.

***

After hearing this Pod cast with Jersey boy John Shelby Spong and having read a few of his books I have come to the conclusion that the God and Jesus Spong wants us all to follow and believe in is not a God I'd like to know. All the mystery, pageantry, wonder, and awe of the most powerful and beautiful God are stripped away to reveal one of nice stories who may or may not have done the things he says he done. At least Spong was nice enough to drop the price of joining his website from $35 a year to $25. Am I being too snarky again?

Labels: , ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 8:33 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger jasdye said...

as to the image under God is not so Great... spectacular!

as to spong, keep tellin' ya, n.t. wright!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

John Shelby Spong and Christopher Hitchens. Two sides of the same coin, from what I can tell.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Art said...

I find Spong thought-provoking but his conclusions tend to be absurd.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Jas,
I have only heard one message by N.T. This year was the first I had ever heard of him.

Darrell,
I always thought Spong was an atheist in a priests clothing.

Art,
His words are so contradictory. He believes in God, but not in anything miraculous about God.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Jen Abel said...

Great blog yoou have here

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home