Saturday, June 09, 2007

Movie Review: The Valet



Every so often I'll go on the spur of the moment to see a movie without knowing anything about it. This is kind of risky because without the aid of reviews (which can be total crap at times) they can at least give you an idea of what the movie is about. This time I chose The Valet for no other reason, but because it happened to be playing when I got there and I didn't feel like waiting an hour for the next movie of my choice to start playing. I knew nothing about this film, not it's premise, not whether it was a comedy or drama, nothing. I didn't even know it was a French until I looked at a synapse of the movie. I felt optimistic since I had seen other french films before and gotten lucky. Ok, so here I am watching a movie having shelled out five bucks for something I had no preconceptions about. Consider all the crappy movies coming out that I can't bring myself to pay even matinee price for I woudl have been more than willing to pay full price to see The Valet. Though it wasn't a laugh out loud comedy I did find myself smiling through most of the film enjoying the good fortunes of the characters who deserved good things in their lives, and the change of heart from the ones who needed to come around. The story is about a married rich business man who is having an affair with a famous super model. A photographer happens to take a picture of the two as they are leaving a hotel along with the valet who just happened to be walking by them. In order to protect his marriage the business man convinces the model and the valet to live together in order to fool the news papers and his wife. In spite of all the infidelity the movie offers as a message that fidelity and true love are much better than a cheap fling. I was pleased with this movie. As I walked out the few people who were in the theater all had the same satisfied grin on their face. We didn't bust out laughing, it wasn't slap stick or raucous, but the corny idea of a feel good comedy.

Labels: ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:42 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger LutherPunk said...

I've tended to have pretty good luck with French films too. They have an unfortunate reputation for being snooty, which I do not find not be the case at all.

4:16 AM  
Blogger RC said...

sounds interesting, and sort of cliche and unique at the same time.

thanks for sharing about it.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Sounds good. Unfortunately my recent movie experiences have been limited to Shrek the Third and Pirates of the Carribean...

10:09 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Lutherpunk,
I think it depends on the type of french film you see. Any artistic type film (or any genre) risks be pretentious and stupid.

RC,
I think you'd enjoy it.

Art,
What's wrong with Shrek the Third and Pirates? They were fun movies.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Art said...

Nothing's wrong with them. They were great. But they are the ONLY two movies I've seen recently.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home