Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Dreaded Plantain Incident + Can You Name All The Cartoon Characters?


All I know is I watch waaaay too many cartoons!!! I got all but maybe 2 or 3.



The Dreaded Plantain Incident:

I'm just going to come out and say that this story is not the least bit flattering for either me or Millinerd. Though, according to him, it is one of those shared histories that seems to come up from time to time even though it happened many many years ago. Millinerd and I went to highschool together though we became friends in our churches youthgroup. One year he and I were on a youth trip to the Dominican Republic where we roomed with a wonderful pastor and his family. They were too generous, giving us a very substantial breakfast every morning consisting of hardboiled eggs, coffee, fruit, and mashed plantains. For any of you who don't know what a plantain is the best way I can describe it is it looks like a banana but tastes like a potatoe. For the record fried plantains with ketchup are awesome. Mashed plantains with butter tastes like dirt. We had to eat it, because we were told it was rude to not eat everything that was on our plate. So each morning Millinerd and I would get an ever expanding bowl of mashed plantains (I swear, the helpings got bigger each day! They must have thought we liked it since we cleaned our plates) and we'd force ourselves to eat it. Then on the last day we were to be staying there before heading to a resort to re-adjust to life in the states the wonderful mother placed another bowl of plantains in front of us. We stared at them for a moment unable to bring ourselves to even start to dig in. Next thing I know, and I do not condone these actions, Millinerd starts to shove handfuls of piping hot plantains into his pocket.



"What are you doing?" I whispered, though looking back on it I don't know why since no one in the family spoke english.



"I can't take it anymore! I had enough of plantains." He whispers back. Looking to the kitchen (which was only a sheet seperating the kitchen table from her) I looked at my bowl and started shoving handfuls into my pocket. We thanked them and said our goodbyes as we ran out to meet everyone at the meeting house. And let me just say I was punished for my sins as the plantains burned very badly in my pocket.

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:37 AM

8 Comments:

Blogger jasdye said...

haven't read the story yet. but i did not recognize the guy underneath mr. incredible. other than that, the mouse with the eyepatch is recognized, but i think he's an adultswim regular and i don't know his name or then nae of the cartoon.

7:46 PM  
Blogger jasdye said...

ok, and plaintains with helping heapings of garlic and butter and garlic-licious! i could possibly see why as teens (and certainly with overfeeding) you wouldn't care so much for them, but you should try a jibarito sometime. if you make it to the chi, we'll take you out for some puerto rican.

it's a woooonderful sandwich.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Rissa said...

That is a very entertaining story! Fairly random, but definitely entertaining.

I personally enjoy them sliced and fried in butter with a little salt. Mmmm.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Art said...

I probably should not say that I can name every one of those cartoon characters without even thinking about it. Sad...

The plantain story is hilarious, though. Thanks;)

1:01 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

It's sad really, to this day whenever I pass plantains in the supermarket I get a little queezy.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

It may not be flattering to either of you, but the image it conjures of two boys running down a street with steaming pockets of plantains is 100% pure funny.

And it is with a mixture of pride and shame that I admit I got all the characters in the picture (although it took me a few minutes to realize that was Annakin Skywalker from THE CLONE WARS cartoon).

6:25 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

As an aside to one of the above notes: the mouse with the eye patch is DANGERMOUSE, a British secret agent mouse that used to play on Nickelodeon back when I was a kid, maybe 20+ years ago or more.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Chris,
That's about what it was like man. And it was hot!!!!

I remember dangermouse, I never watched it, but I do recall it.

Man I watched wayyyyy too many cartoons!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home