Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Friday Gallery: New Eyes Art








It has been way too long since I have done one of these things. So what better way to start off a new batch of discoveries than with New Eyes' Art? I'm not going to lie when I first looked at her work I thought all I was seeing was the same thing painted over and over again. And why did I think that? Because I'm a typical thick guy who doesn't notice this little thing we like to call "subtlety". What is great about "subtlety" is when you finally notice it you can't help but stand back and gasp. It is the epiphany, the ah ha! moment where you can grasp as best as your experience and imagination allows you to move from the big picture down to the details. That is the difference between a visual artist like New and a poet like myself. The poet goes for the details to draw you to the big picture. The visual artist goes from the big picture with the hopes it'll draw you into the details. It is a shame I cannot see the full size pictures in front of me. I have a feeling I am missing out on a lot of the details because they are shrunk down so much. I'll also admit though I can appreciate modern art I like to know what it is I am looking at. I find it easier to wrap my mind around words that have an ambiguous meaning than a painting that does. In this case, I may not entirely get it, but I do not care. I can look at the work and appreciate it for the aesthetic value they retain.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:32 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Shesawriter said...

The 4th one is my favorite.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Rev, for your review. I appreciate your honesty, an find your choices of the artwork of mine you picked very interesting. It's funny that you thought you were looking at the same thing, because all but one of these paintings are part of my "pods" series.

Check out my flickr account for more variety: http://www.flickr.com/photos/neweyes/sets/727248/

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and the top photo is on its side, it needs to be rotated clockwise 90 degrees. :)

4:52 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

cool . . . i like the 3rd and the 5th ones

12:07 PM  
Blogger Cinnamon Spider! said...

I like the pictures. I found some a bit strange but some beautiful :)
Thanks for sharing.

9:16 AM  
Blogger RC said...

how fun, i really like the 1st one.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

12:01 AM  
Blogger Infinitesimal said...

Hey
Q-B!

I posted today and would really appreciate it if you would come on over and leave your comment.

thanks.

love,

Infinitesimal

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home