Thursday, June 15, 2006

A Special Poetry Thursday


Donald Hall is the first poet I discovered on my own. I was in highschool and held to the idea that modern poetry was crap and if it wasn't written by one of the early greats then it isn't worth reading. I was a teenager. I knew everything. I found scurrying through the magazine rack a poetry journal with a few of his poems. I was so blown away by his work that I went right out and bought one of his books. Two years ago I finally got to meet him. I am pleased to announce that he is the newest poet laureate of the United States of America.

Other Poet Laureats are Rita Dove, Billy Collins, Ted Kooser, Louise Gluck, Joseph Brodsky the first poet who isn't an American to receive the honor. He came to the cerimony, picked up his check and went home, never doing anything to fulfill his duties. And the big poppa himself Stanley Kunitz. When he was asked what he'll do during his tenure as the poet laureate he answered, "Do what I always do. Write Poetry."

posted by Out Of Jersey | 8:31 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger Cinnamon Spider! said...

I used to read and write poetry but not so much recently. I might get back into it this summer, although my poetry website appears to have been shut down :-/ I like depressing poetry like Sylvia Plath

11:27 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I'm more of a psalms fan myself Ryan.

Cinnamon,
I enjoy Sylvia's poetry, but she wasn't just a straight up I'm depressed so I'm going to write about it. She dove deep to try to understand it. She wrote poetry that was beautiful as well as heart breaking. Donald's work is like that in a different respect. He writes a lot about the death of his wife.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home