Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Bouncing Souls


As a spur of the moment decision I went with my roommate to see a band I didn't know anything about. I figured why not, the tickets were cheap, and it was an excuse to get out. The concert was held at the Trocadero is pretty well known in the area for having a lot of punk shows as well as other acts that may have strong followings but aren't particularly on the map as far as fame is concerned. I had no real expectations except that either way I'd have a good time. The headliner band was The Bouncing Souls hailing from my state New Jersey. Who knew anything worthwile could come out of New Jersey? I expected a typical punk band, young guys with spiked hair and tatoos with ripped jeans screaming angry music. My type of crowd. Seriously, there are two places I can go to where I fit in: biker rallies or punk shows. I haven't been to a show like this in a long time, so I was wondering if I were a bit old to be going to a show like this. The band was a revelation. They were a punk band, but they jumped around genres like crazy. I was blown away. Plus they were my age! It's nice to know I can still keep it real. My favorite part was they didn't talk. All they did was play music. No attempts at political discourse, no sermons, no messages. Just a good old fashioned rock show. The Dixie Chicks could learn something from them.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:46 PM

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No doubt...I absolutely hate when singers talk too much. Isn't art supposed to communicate more powerfully than words alone? I'll have to check these guys out.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

"The Dixie Chicks could learn something from them."

Oh goodness gracious.

You are hilarious.

Where the heck have you been these days?!

10:34 PM  
Blogger LutherPunk said...

I dig the Bouncing Souls. Sounds like a great show.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Wes,
It just has gotten tired. I want to go and hear music.

Steph,
I am working on a few things, but wanted to step back and really consider if I wanted to continue.

Luther,
It's been a while since I've been to a show like. I was hoping I wouldn't be out of place. Then I saw a bunch of other bald guys there and I was like, Sweet!!

8:37 PM  
Blogger RC said...

i hate going to concerts...it's been a long time since i went to one I liked, so avoid them...even if it's a group i like...some times seeing them live ruins the illusion.

last 2 fav concerts: mat kearney and mutemath.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

8:25 PM  
Blogger LutherPunk said...

I just checked out the link to the venue, and they have a lot of good shows coming up. That Germs show will be a good one, if Pat Smear the guitar player shows up instead of Pat Smear the fashinista.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

Hey Rev,

Just stopping by to say Hi and that I missed you. Hope you're doing well.

Hugs,

Tanya

1:27 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Wendy,
I didn't know you were from this area. Small world.

Ryan,
Meh, so it's not for everyone, I just thought it was interesting.

Luther,
I am going to a ska show there in July, and hopefully to see Seu Jorge in July as well. You'd dig the place man, it's your type of venue. If you are in the area let me know and I'll take you there and we can pick up a cheese steak.

Tanya
Hope work on the writing is going well. I miss you as well.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home