Monday, May 01, 2006

What I Wanted To Say


I came from being an indifferent Catholic to knowing Christ in highschool. Through the years visited all types of churches including a messianic church. Over the years I have left two churches and lost 2 ministries with many hurt feelings. I am living in a world of labels and movements and a member of none. Am I a presbyterian because I attend a presbyterian church and plan on being ordained through them? An Emergent? A Promise Keeper? A Progressive? A Conservative? A Red Letter Christian? I am unhappy with all these distinctions because none of them really fits me. Not as a believer or as a human being. I've tried all those labels on like a cheap suit and found that even though you may dress a goat in silk it's still a goat. Dress me up in a denomination/movement/political agenda's clothes and you'll still have a spiritual burn out, a political agnostic, and denominationally challenged. A Christian with more questions than answers, angry at how I've seen churches react to certain situations within their own congregations. A man who knows the love of God and His grace is real, but still hasn't found the best way to express or share it (missions? feeding the poor? social justice?). Fortunately and unfortunately there are plenty of believers out there who are intellectually assured to be able to help those are either new to the faith or, like myself, to regain the reamining scraps of their faith to better seek and no God through the life, death, and ressurrection of Jesus Christ. I have the best case scenario, a pastor as well as a man who disciples me are assured in their faith, desire to love and worship God and seek the lost. Able to draw from their past experiences to help otehrs move foreward. Imperfect vessels that have enabled me to get back on my path. They saw through my anger and past hurt pointing me back to the love of God and towards a healthier faith. Unfortunately I have seen the other end of the spectrum. People using their positions to air out their hurt feelings, agendas and other less than pure motives which leads people astray and give a false understanding of who God is and the role Christ and his love plays in our lives. I have heard people say how they are losing their salvation and being lead to hell. I do no know if that is the case. When I followed the word of faith movement was I losing my salvation? I do not know. What I do know is it greatly hindered my relationship with my loving Father God. Why are we so quick to send less mature Christians to hell and pass the blame onto someone else like a pastor, a politician, or a movement? Ted Kennedy, Rick Warren, Sean Hannity, and Pat Robertson aren't stopping me from pointing others to Christ and his salvation. To quote my mentor, "Stop being so angry, look to Jesus, it'll be figured out." Let's look to Jesus and point others to Him so that we may all figure it out.

Amen

posted by Out Of Jersey | 7:05 PM

8 Comments:

Blogger Hyla said...

I think you've nailed it! For me, it's about admitting that I don't have all the answers, but continuing to search and trust and believe and lead others to do the same. As far as labels go, one of the reasons I love my church is because they are much less concerned with their affiliations and labels and much more concerned with being orthodox in belief and unorthodox in practice. I think you have a lot of wisdom in this post. More than you probably even realize, Dave.

9:08 PM  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

It sounds like you are sorting through your thoughts, and this is a good thing... let Him guide you, bring it through you. The path for us is not always clear, and it was not meant to be. If people are so easily led astray, then perhaps they were just looking for the easy road to salvation?

Keep your chin up, and your mind open. It is not our place to be angry and judge all other faiths/ persons/ mistakes in other congregations. It is normal to question Him in our hearts. I think we all do at some time or another.

I am glad to see that you have posted this, and reflected on it so. :)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Hyla,
This is one of those things that has been coming for me for a long time, but is just now becoming crystalized. I knew I was tired of all the movements, etc. that keep coming out, but I guess I finally am able to put it into words.

Sprite,
Wise words indeed sprite. thank you for your imput. I was so concerned about having a perfect theology that I was neglecting the more important things.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rev,

It's good that you have found a place.
I guess you are talking about the EPC church? I've been to the PCA and PCUSA but I don't think I ever been to the EPC church. From what I read it seems they dwell on the essentials of the gospel and that is good.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Todd R. Vick said...

Good post, brother. Very open and honest. No matter what happens or what anyone says, the immutable truth is that we are "Not under law, but under grace." God sets a high standard we cannot reach, and then lifts us up above the bar so we can be with Him anyway. Why? Not because of a denomination or TV ministry, but because of Jesus Christ, and for no other reason.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Amen to that brother. There are tims I think we are more worried about how holy we appear than how righteous through his grace we are.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am hoping to find a place to stand besides Emergent and not-Emergent/American Evangelical. It seems that everybody puts people in one of these two categories. Anyway...I am glad that you have found a community (at least a pastor) that is ok with struggles and hard questions. People that walk in humility, probably because they understand the vulnerability of their own faith. This is an encouraging thing for me to read and a challenge to me as I move forward in starting a new church where we live. Thanks for your honesty and transparency.
Blessings,
Wes

10:01 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I appreciate what you had to say. I've done the movement thing. Whether we want to admit it or not, ultimately it comes down to us knowing Christ. All else is window dressing.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home