Friday, April 07, 2006

Saying Goodbye


Donald Hall has to be one of my favorite poets. I was all giddy with joy when I finally got to meet him last year. But there was one thing that kind of perplexed me a bit. Almost all of the poetry he's written over the past ten years has dealt with in one way or another the death from cancer of his wife an equally talented poet Jane Kenyon. Then I lost someone to cancer, and all I could do was write on the subject, it was obsessive. So I sat down and took an older poem I wrote at seeing my mother in the hospital and re-working it to the last night of her life. My way of saying I will never write about it anymore. Except for touching on it on occassion I've for the most part kept to that.

A Brief History Of Cancer

What a night, when we were lined up

like a coffin ship, to wonder why

it must happen here? Your room

is so sterile and clean and I am finished

holding your hand and looking into eyes

that no longer remember I’m your son.

I want to sleep, to move onto newer dreams,

if any dreams come at all.

At least I said goodbye.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 3:22 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

Oh, so poignant, CR, and just candid and painful and real. An amazing piece of work (and life) that your mother, I'm sure, would be proud of. I feel blessed that you shared this with us. I can imagine that these words would comfort anyone who has lost someone that they love to illness. Thank you. Don't. Ever. Stop. Writing.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I share your pain with losing my dad to cancer :-(

10:30 AM  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

Wonderful tribute to your mom, Rev. I wrote letters to my dad after he died. Just little stuff I never got to say while he was here. It helped me somewhat.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

Touching!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I am glad you enjoyed it, it wasn't a goodbye letter though, but I just didn't want to write about it anymore.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home