Monday, March 27, 2006

Abandonment


All leaving is betrayal.

-- Dan Maguire – Leavings

Over forty or fifty years our houses

Waited for our stories to begin like a wind

Chimes hesitant first notes.

Whenever

I came over for a game of chess

All I wanted was to play a game,

But your children wanted to laugh out loud,

Forget they are old men and the games must stop.

A friend of mine often quotes, "A poem is never finished, only abandoned." I cannot remember who it was who said that, but it's true. I've been puttering away at this stupid thing for three years. Still no title (secretly, I hate titles, don't like reading them, don't like coming up with them), still the feeling that it needs something, but not knowing what that something is. Unless the Holy Spirit decides to give me an epiphany I bid it adieu. The epigram is a line from my friend with the quote.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:25 PM

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I find it hard to come up with titles too! But I always read them.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

This is profound, CR. I think it's spot on.

P.S. I hate coming up with titles, too.

4:52 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

And a painting is never finished, it just stops in interesting places. (Paul Gardner)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

I say it's finished when we say it's finished. Never before.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Thanks for the kind words, and Tanya, it's nice to know I have at least some say in how these thigns turn out.

4:26 PM  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

sometimes you have to put it down, and come back to it, and sometimes the piece just does not work and you have to give it a mad toss... I think you have a great start here! I wouldn't toss it just yet.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home