Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Poetry Thursday - Bei Dao: Poet of Exile


Old Snow
Bei Dao

When the snow receives an ancient language
maps of national territories change shape
on this continent
snow shows deep concern
for a foreigner's small room

Before my door
lies a three metre long steel rail

Factories go bankrupt, governments fall
outdated newspapers converge
into a decomposed ocean
old snow comes constantly, new snow comes not at all
the art of creation is lost
windows retreat
....five magpies fly past

Unexpected sunlight is an event

Green frogs start their hibernation
the postmen's strike drags on
no news of any kind

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:30 PM

6 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

CR,
Thank you for introducing me to this talented man's work. Such a picture he has painted, a mood he has conveyed. Also, thanks for the link--so interesting learning about the man behind the words.

P.S. When are you going to publish more of your own poetry? I'm getting antsy here.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

sometime soon, I promise.

2:59 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

the images...amazing. thank you for introducing me to this poet...

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sound rolls through there.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I am glad people were receptive to his work. I know it can be a bit thick at times.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You picked one of my favorite Bei Dao poems. I think this particular piece was written to be chanted from within a cubicle.

--from another cubicle

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home