Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Lenten Journal - Days 2 & 3



Day 2: Pressing On
Phillipians 3:1
Phillipians 3:12-14

It is easy for me to talk about pressing on and persevering when I'm only 2 days into my journey. It is no coincidence that my scripture reading for this week are about rejoicing and striving towards the prize. Everyone in my life is going through some sort of change or hardship. Verbal mentioned a story from James Baldwin's book Going To Meet The Man called "Sonny's Blues" about a man trying to save his younger brother from drugs. I had a particularly hard time reading this story because I have been the younger brother destroying himself, not by drugs, but by bad choices and apathy. I have also watched others destroying themselves. Helplessly watching as they struggle with their demons. Yet we press on. We pray and minister. We hope and worry. In Mathetes Epistle to Diognetes it is written, " They pass their days on earth, but they are citizens of Heaven."



Day 3: The Old Gods

Satan offered Jesus the whole world if he bowed down and worshipped him. Jesus said no. For Satan to be seen as God is a mockery for what can he offer? God through the death and resurrection of Christ wants us to come to Him, to be with Him. Doesn't that make the whole world seem like a giant dung heap in comparrison?

In my daily life I see the old gods I try to leave behind. In Mathetes Epsitle he talks about how the old gods of wood rot and the old gods of stone crumble.

So what matters? What is important? I see many of the churches bickering over one thing or another only to lose sight of the One True God. I know this anger. I lost sight of the True God to carry onto a temporary one. I had been hurt, followed bad teaching, so whenever something came along I didn't like I'd blast it with as much anger as I could. I didn't even notice how angry I was until I met with the guy who's discipling and I start going off on a rant about how such and such a leader is not a true believer and is leading people astray. He just sat there looking at me. When I finally noticed I stopped and asked, "I'm a very angry person aren't I?" I am not saying we shouldn't challenge bad doctrine, but are we doing it as believers or as the world? There is a time and a place for everything. But what is more important? What matters? Where do I find my hope?

posted by Out Of Jersey | 10:02 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like doing my readings and then coming to check out your commentry. I'm not sure I can put words to how I feel as well as you do. bless ya!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Carmel,
The readings are difficult. They were no nonsense, didn't waste time to say what they had to say and move on.

A,
The world is good. But in comparrison to the Creator, it doesn't rate.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

I love reading your journey to self-discovery and faith. It's inspiring.

Tanya

6:26 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

It has been interesting to see how things have been tying together Tanya. Sermons, Bible study, prayer, observations. God trully works in mysterious ways.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home