Monday, February 27, 2006

RIP: Octavia Butler



When I heard Octavia Butler was coming to Philadelphia to give a reading I actually ditched spending time with my sister who was coming in from out of town to see her read. That might sound cold, but I knew I had all weekend to spend with her. While meeting Octavia Butler would be a once in a life time opportunity. I was one of the only white men in the small area where she was set up. None of us cared. We were there to celebrate a brilliant author, not just of science fiction stories, but of great literature. To hear her speak was to listen to brilliance itself which left you no wonder as to why she had gotten a Genius Grant. Thank you for your great stories Octavia. You'll be missed.

Here are the books I'd recommend:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:51 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

I love your endorsements of people and art. I've never read anything by Octavia Butler but you've convinced me to give her a try. The book queue is now a skyscraper, thankyouverymuch.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Cate,
I only put on things I like. I know a lot of guys will put on things they hate as well, but why draw attention to it? Much like Britney Spears, I just want it to go away.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow I bet you had a great time, I haven't read any of her books but have heard of them. =)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

wow, that's unreal, I seriously didn't think anyone knew who she was.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home