Sunday, February 26, 2006


Leave it to MTV the former Mecca of music videos to come up with a high quality program like Parental Control where well meaning parents (now referred to as the parents) over the person their son/daughter (now referred to as son/daughter) chose to date. The boyfriends are overly possessive jerks (now referred to as the jerk) with no future. The girlfriends are self-absorbed princesses (now referred to as princess) unable to pronounce any word over two syllables. In order to show their son/daughter there is more to life than the jerk/princess they are dating the parents interview several candidates (now referred to as the candidate) and each parent chooses one to go out on a blind date with the son/daughter by interviewing the candidates. For the guy candidates usually were asked about their future plans, were they ever in jail, or did they have any tattoos/piercing. The girl candidates they were asked what their favorite body part was and could they model it. Guess which parent asked that one? After the selection process the son/daughter goes out on the blind dates with the candidates while the jerk/princess sits at home with the parents watching everything happen. I admit I got a lot of pleasure watching the jerk/princess squirm while the son/daughter squeal with delight. The selection process is my favorite part of the show because it’s so embarrassing for the candidates who get denied. And jerk/princess responses are always the same, “I thought I could do better than you anyway” or “I was going to break up with you anyway” as a way of saving face. So much for leaving with dignity. One thing that struck me is how self-centered everyone on the show is. The jerk/princess and candidate (at least the guys) are in it for the competition. Get a group of guys with one girl alone in a room there’ll be more chest beating and grunting begin for a nature program. I seriously doubt they care less about this person they just want to win or keep their prize. The son/daughter is obviously looking for other options or they wouldn’t agree to be on the show. The parents are so desperate they to get their son/daughter away from what they consider to be a loser they are willing to subject their children to public humiliation. This is a reality show so the producers are doing everything in their power to paint everyone into the light they want them to be seen in. I doubt any of them actually sees the other for who they are. As I watch this show I want to ask the question my friends asked me whenever I started dating someone new, “Instead of asking what can this person do for you, do you ask how you can serve them?” The Apostle Paul says in Philippians 2:1-11 we are asked to follow the example of Christ by thinking of others more highly than ourselves. In other words, Jesus had the most reason to have everyone fall at his feet to do everything at his whim. Instead he served God and man to the point where he died on the cross an excruciating way to die. Imagine how the dynamics of the show would change if everyone asked themselves, “How can I serve this person?” Probably would be cancelled for lack of drama. No insults, no fights, and someone discovers that they may not be right for each other and are willing to sacrifice their happiness for someone else’s. Still I’ll watch routing the son/daughter will dump the jerk/princess for a far better candidate. What can I say? I’m a sucker for drama. There is another standard we can live by.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 12:11 PM

9 Comments:

Blogger Shesawriter said...

I consider MTV a sewer and the channel is blocked and has been blocked for YEARS in my house. I'll continue to block it even after my kids grow up and leave. Other people like it. Good for them. I don't.

Tanya

7:16 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Tanya,
It's an absolute sewer that has no redeeming quality. It's music television in name only. I am addicted to this show because it is so embarrassing and negative. Like watching a train wreck.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Lita said...

you have to kiss alot of toads before you meet prince charming...I'm just glad that I had the smarts before the princess attitude. Not much of an MTV fan here, in fact we don't get it at all. We have Muchmusic which is not far behind all that MTV bunk.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

real grown-ups watch vh-1 instead, enjoying the 80s/90s rewind shows, reliving years that sucked the first time around :). i know - easy to get drawn into train wrecks, sir.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Twisted and rick,
I swear I am not normally into MTV, I know it is bad, and I am ashamed to admit it.

And the 80's and 90's ruled! They didn't suck I tell you.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

I am a big fan of both the '80s and big hair. I remember when (I can't believe I'm starting a sentence with that) MTV was VIDEOS. That's it. Videos. And I was glued to them. Esp. Headbanger's Ball.

Don't know anything about this new show, CR, but I've been unable to tear myself away from a train wreck at times, too. I feel for you.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Wendy,
The whole show is a waste. There is no point to it what-so-ever. The fact that people are willing to subject themselves to this is unreal.

Cate,
It's funny how they continue to call themselves MTV since they almost never show music videos anymore.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I always thought that was a sitcom, there's no way someone can be that stupid in real life. I mean, they prove darwin wrong.

Am I the only one who thinks Jessica's dad is an exploitive jackass. He tried to get nick and jess back together, not for her happiness, but for business reasons.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

when ashley simpson got caught lip synching then got booed off stage at the orange bowl, secretly I giggled with glee. Tee hee!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home