Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Speaking of the Dixie Chicks


I have started to regularly visit Cross Left in order to try and become a more well rounded Cubicle Reverend. I think people here are more than well aware of my frustrations at politics mixing with faith. So I try to read both sides of things to get a better understanding of the way the world works. Admittedly this is a dangerous undertaking, but I think there is a lot of baggage that Christianity needs to unload if we are going have a purer faith again. Out of curiosity I posted a blog on how funny I thought it was that the Dixie Chicks were so suprised that their fans got upset at their comments about George Bush to see if anyone actually read these things or commented on them, especially when the person who wrote it is a moderately educated guy with an overly active imagination with too much free time on his hands. Let's face it, this is pure comedy gold. They are a country western band. Who tends to listen to country music? Conservatives who voted more than likely twice for George Bush and still support him. From what I hear their new record aint' exactly tearing up the charts. That's a shame. I loved their rendition of Landslide.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 3:14 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger LutherPunk said...

I listen to country music but NEVER voted for W. Of course, I am more the Dale Watson, Wayne Hancock, Hank III kind of country fan, not exactly the kind of guy who would listen to the Dixie Chicks.

But I think you are on to something. Modern Republicanism appeals to (yet f@$%s over) the working class through careful rhetoric. In fact, in Blue Collar Comedy Tour Larry the Cable Guy actually asks how the Dixie Chicks could be so shocked that they weren't well received?

BTW, I do think that there is place for religion and political co-mingling, but NEITHER of the two dominant parties represent anything closely approximating a Christian stance.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Did anyone else catch the quick with of the statement "a more well rounded cubicle reverend"? Is it only funny to me?

As to the Chicks . . . . they have the freedom to say what they want, go for it, bash whoever you please in public, but realize that just as you have the freedom to speak in a democracy the buyer has the freedom to not buy in a capitalist society for any reason they want. Wheeee gotta love freedom, it bites everyone in the butt sometime. Equal opportunity freedom. So I'm ok with the Chicks saying whatever they want (even if I don't paticularly agree with them) but they have to be ready to put their money where their mouth is (or I guess lack of future earnings).

That said, their new CD is pretty good, the chicks know how to make music.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

quick "wit" not quick "with", gosh I'm not that quick obviously

7:59 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Luther,
I'm not saying it shouldn't be comingled, but an important we need to start asking are:

(1) Does our faith dictate our politics or do our politics dictate our faith? Obviously one is more important than the other.

(2) Is it true? There are a lot of ideas floating around there that sound good, but do they jive with scripture. Desiring to help the poor is a good thing, but if it causes more harm to them than good then obviously it can be a bad thing.

And for the record, I think we all have screwed over the poor big time.

Katie
Of course they have the right to say whatever they want, but when I go to a concert, I want to hear music. If I wanted a lecture I'd go to class.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Oh yeah, a round cube. Doy!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Frankie said...

haha I love Landslide as well. I'm also a fan of their anti-george comments though too. ;).

7:14 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

as a political agnostic I could care less one way or the other. Except for the debates on SNL between Bush and Gore there hasn't been anything particularly brilliant or creative done as satire or even as original thought.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home