Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Special Poetry Thursday: Happy Birthday Kristi


I know I post these things on wednesdays, but I am too busy on thursdays to do it. Give me a break ok? Besides, the fact I am doing it tonight gives me an opportunity to say happy birthday to a fellow cube head Kristi which leads into this weeks poem. I do not try to post my own poetry on this blog because I feel it is a tad self-indulgent since I pretty much write whatever I want on here and am already self-indulgent enough. But this is an exception. Several months ago I was talking to Kristi (who happens to be an incredible young woman) when I got inspired to write a poem. Here is a rough draft. I love the Gazal form. The short meditative lines. Each stanza being a seperate poem yet a part of the whole. It isn't titled yet and is still a work in progress. Here you go:

Known as the great mystery God is a wonder.
He understand the nature of dust, but does He ever wonder?

A child's eyes are purer than an adults.
The innoccent stare in wonder.

Man named the animals. God named teh stars. Man built
a tower to heaven. Who created the greater wonder?

If you make no promises except for trampled grass
then enjoy the possibility for another wonder.

But I stayed too long. I took my hat and coat,
sat on the front step. I lost my wonder.

Be kind, Kristi, while cooking with cinnamon.
The other spices are jealous of its wonder.

Happy B-day Kristi!

posted by Out Of Jersey | 7:12 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristi B. said...

Thank you... You are too sweet!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Cinnamon Spider! said...

I really like your banner at the top of your blog. It is so beautiful how did you do it?

11:13 AM  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

"A child's eyes are purer than an adults. The innoccent stare in wonder."

VERY nice. :-)

8:11 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

wes,
I am working on a post on this type of poetic style and will list the books I most often go back to.

Kristi,
You are welcome!

Cinnamon,
I got it from Eddo at Posted Note. It took him like 2 minutes.

Writer,
Thanks, I appreciate it.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home