Monday, December 26, 2005

What You Are Digging


This time of the year springs up all sorts of best of lists. Whether it's movies, movies, or books the critics or whomever get together and give their oppinion as to what they like or do not like. I decided instead of going by what critics are into, I'd rather go by what the Cube Heads are digging. It can be something new or old, but you had to discover it in the past year. Here's what they had to say:

Jess, Journey Of A Catholic Revert
I made friends with God and met a person who absolutely changed my life and my way of looking at the world and saw that goodness truly does overcome evil. A life-altering revelation! And I went to California for the first time in my life.

  • how could I not put that first? Talk about the greatest discovery.

Wendy, Tales From The Dorks Side
The thing that I discovered this year was the French Press. I love coffee, and making it in a French Press changes coffee. Suddenly it tastes better than it does from the coffee shop. It's more work than one of those darn drip coffee makers, it's completely worth the effort.

Logan Bennet
What I liked about Domino, well it had a lot of action in it. It was based on a true story abou tthe life of some bounty hunters, and there was plenty of violence in it... Call me crazy but I love those movies.

one big plus my girlfriend Kiera Knightly starred in it WOWIE ZOWIE.

Heather, She's A Sprite

There were three books that I read this year that really stick out in my mind. The Chronicles of Narnia... old, but I think everyone should read it! And Angels and Demons and The Davinci Code by Dan Brown. The movie for the Davinci Code comes out in May, so read it before then!!!

Yvonne, Nemeton

"Watching the English" by Kate FoxA hilarious read, and a closely observed study of the English and why we're so dysfunctional - but ever so polite with it. "Speculations on Speculation: Theories of Science Fiction"Edited by James Gunn and Matthew CandelariaA fascinating look at the literary roots and techniques of science fiction. "Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang" by Kate Wilhelm. It's a beautiful book,well-crafted and thought-provoking. The characters are well-drawn, the shift ofpower from humans to clones is convincing, the prose is lyrical, the charactersengaging (except for the poor degraded breeders). The only thing is, she doesn't go into quite enough detail about how the telepathy between the clonesworks, although an analogy is offered in the form of the rapport that existsbetween twins. But the return to individuality and the explanation for it is convincing, even if the explanation has been simplified for a non-psychologyaudience.

Carmel, Winterr's Words

Some things that I discovered this year and thought to be cool was firstly a book written by a man named Bill Carter called Fools Rush In. It's a personal account of this writer/film maker's experience in the war zone of Sarajevo. His story went on to inspire U2 to write the song "Miss Sarajevo". San Francisco was a cool city that I discovered this year when my flights were delayed back to Australia so I got to spend the day and night there, awesome!
Also as a Catholic I discovered Pope Benedict 16th, and I think that's pretty cool too.

  • Thanks for your discoveries everyone. There is still time to send your "What I Discovered This Past Year..." guest blog, the deadline is the end of December. I'll be posting mine shortly. Hopefully more sooner or later. Jess, the princess of Australia, your's is real sweet and inspiring. My favorite sprite, I'm glad you did discover The Narnia Chronicles, and hopefully the movie stood up to your expectations. I saw the preview for Davinci Code today and am actually interested in reading it. The dork who makes everything look cool, ahh, the french press. Unfortunately I destroyed mine, in short, don't try to put a plastic one on a heating pad to keep it warm. Next up a cappuccino maker? Logan, the man, the myth, the bennett, I heard good things about Domino, I didn't know it even came out yet, thanks for the heads up. And by the way, YOWZA! Yvonne, she who must be obeyed, great more books to add to my must read list! And Carmel, the Queen of Australia, It's good to know the new pope rocks. And I want to read that book as well.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:40 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow! It's was really nice to read all that, and even my own ;) That was a great idea you had, I can't wait to read more.
Thanx Cubez!! :D:D

7:47 PM  
Blogger MJJ Insider said...

What an awesome idea, King Cube! :) Great post, it was nice to read everyone elses!

xx

2:12 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I'm hoping that more people will send there stuff. I figured it'd be fun for people to list what they enjoyed, or what they discovered. Usually critics just do stuff that's brand new and stick to one type of thing (music, movies, etc.), but I wanted to open it up and see what came up. So far a lot of good stuff.

5:09 AM  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

I did enjoy the movie, it was very very accurate as far as the actual story in the book went!

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home