Friday, December 23, 2005

Joy In Spite of Political Correctness


This is going to be one of my more personal posts. It was never really my intention to use this blog as a personal journal. That's what pens and note books are for. But every so often, perhaps in a sense of over self-indulgence, I feel like sharing a little tid bit into the life of your faithul Cubidle Reverend. In this case it was after reading a post by Over-Easy on her apathy over the holidays. I can relate. Except my apathy came to the point of out right hatred and bitterness. It came about first at the sickness and deaht of my mother, who took a serious turn for the worse on the holidays, and the death of someone I had known my entire life, Aunt Nadia. Not my real Aunt, but as far as I was concerned she was. I'd see her every 4th of July and New Years day. The former, because it was nearly impossible to enjoy the holidays when someone is in decline. The latter because I missed a New Years day because I was scheduled to work. I called up to let them know and they put Aunt Nadia on and I could tell by her voice she was saddened that I couldn't be there. The first time I missed in over a decade. A few weeks later she passed away. It hurt me to the point where I told my boss that if they ever scheduled me for New Years day again I'd not show up and risk losing my job. It was only a part time job to earn a few extra bucks, so was it worth it to be there? Though since then a few things have happened that really brought back the meaning of Christmas for me:
  1. Going to a Christmas service run by college students. They did it entirely for the love of God and the celebration of Jesus.
  2. Being involved on Christmas again. Between watching the kids I work with joking around and laughing at a x-mas party it reminded me of the joy that can be had at the holidays.
  3. And finally, as I posted previously: The first year after my mother died a buddy of mine invited me over his house to spend with his family. The house was so beautifully decked and seeing his daughters all wearing the same pyjamas, and just the feeling of warmth and welcome. And every year it’s the same, “Don’t bring any gifts.” Which I do anyway. I tell them not to give gifts and they do anyway. I actually enjoy christmas again. Now it is never a question of my going over to visit on Christmas.

So do not let the jackasses destroy the joy that can be found over the holiday seasons. Sure it's commercial and people have lost their focus, but that does not mean you have to stop loving the holidays and finding the joy of the Lord during this time of the year and forever.

May God Bless you during this time of year and onward. May you know His joy, peace, and love more personally and deeply than in the past, and move forward on the race, running towards the prize.

Love always

Dave

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:15 AM

12 Comments:

Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I think it's sad how people want to suck all the fun out of the holidays. If people want to say merry christmas or have an angel on their tree it isn't harming anyone. Let it go. To quote Chris Rock when commenting on how a town in Alabama wasn'g going to have a MLK day holiday:

"We aren't asking you to do something black. All we're asking you to do is not work."

Amen to that.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout! Great post, and I can totally relate to point number two, hanging out with kids, to make one enjoy the holidays. One of the best parts about little kids is just how contagious their joy is, nevermind how they're easily amused to begin with.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am sorry you lost your mom and "aunt" around the holiday but am very happy to hear you've found your holiday joy again. I hope you have a great Christmas.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Joy can be a real suprise at times. I find myself more and more enjoying the holidays.

Thanks Michelle, it was harsh at the time. But through the hardship of loss it can also lead to a suprising blessing. Developing new friendship. A visit that started off as a one time thing has become a regular thing.

Nat,
It's gotten to the point that I can't imagine not working with teenagers. It's like the mafia, every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in. It is literally the hardist and most incredible experience I have.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really admire how you found the good times in Christmas back, and didnt blame anyone for your loss, to the point of taking it out on Christmas. Sorry to hear about your loss though over Chrismtas, I hated the first Christmas without my dad when he died, but of course life must go on and we cannot blame anyone or any season.
I love the Chris Rock comment too!
Merry Christmas to you too and thanks for sharing some of your personal thoughts.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I can understand people's reluctance over the holidays. Even after it was all said and done I have to admit I still struggled with it. I let things get to me, that I should not have. Allowed myself to get frustrated, when I should have had joy. Life's too short for this.

6:20 PM  
Blogger MJJ Insider said...

There's a forum that I visit... and before I left for my family's house, and I posted a goodbye and Merry Xmas message. In that message I added for them to try to remember and value the real meaning of Christmas.

I checked the forum again today and someone had quoted me and added, "Yes, the birth of Santa Claus"

and it really irritated me. Also I saw a children's sign that said "We believe in Santa" and I felt a little bit angered, that most children don't REALLY know why they are celebrating Christmas.

Dave, I loved this post because I agree, even though consumer driven society has made us feel as though Christmas has lost it's meaning, there are still elements of it that make it known.

For me it is the unity I feel with my family and friends. It is the beautiful messages I receive from loved ones in cards and personally-made gifts... And of course in the appreciation and Praise of God for sending us his only Son, Jesus Christ.

:)

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ConcertTickets offer premium unique Christina Aguilera Tickets. Christina Aguilera Tickets may be purchased online through our guaranteed safe and secure server. For faster service please order tickets through our web site http://www.concerttickets.org/christinaaguilera-concert-tickets.htm .

7:08 AM  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

A lovely story! I am glad that you have found the Christmas Spirit again Rev^3! I hope that it was a very good one, and that you remember all the Christmas' spent with your mother in Happiness, and all the New Years with your Aunt. They would want you to remember the good, and not grieve.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I am a firm believer in celebrating a persons life and not morning the loss even though it saddens me to see them gone. That's why I generally hate the wakes as they are. A bunch of people appologizing for the loss. At my grandfathers funeral I felt like saying, "Don't feel sorry, I'm greatful to have gotten to know the guy." I tell everyone, when I die, don't have a funeral, have a party.

8:50 AM  
Blogger antonia said...

I just read this post
I'm really sorry to hear about your losses.
*hugs*
-x-

4:54 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Thanks, I appreciate it.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home