Wednesday, December 03, 2008

R.I.P. Odetta


She has the type of voice that makes you fall in love with her. Beautiful mix of soul and wisdom that uplifts our spirit while reminding us of both the beauty and ugliness of this world. It is unfortunate that she was not more famous in her later years. As great as her folk music was it wasn't until she started to develop a more bluesy style that brought out the true nature of her heart.

Singing "House Of The Rising Sun (Live)".

A wonderful blues standard "Careless Love (Live)".

A heartbreaking rendition of "What A Friend We Have In Jesus (Live)." With Tennessee Ernie Ford.

Labels: ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:17 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

She was often overlooked, and listening to the clips you put up reminded me that I was guilty of it as well.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I hear ya man.
So when am I going to get to read your book?

4:58 AM  
Blogger Art said...

Somehow I missed the news of her passing. Thanks for the news and the tribute.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home