Monday, February 18, 2008

Tony Campolo: Red Letter Christians


As far as Tony Campolo's newest book is concerned:

Think I read this book before...

...I'm really not sure, but it sounds so familiar...

...Why does this book remind me of something I've read before?

Seriously, this is the fourth time I have read this book! He has written very similar books at least 4 times before, not including the other books he wrote that touch on similar topics. My feelings about the red letter christians are simple. Do we really need yet another Christian "movement" in this world? And to base one only off the red letters of Christ's words seems a bit shoddy to me. Sure it seemd to work for Tolstoy and Jefferson to take out the parts of the Bible that made them uncomfortable. Quite frankly, I'd rather be a Full Bible Christian. Or better yet, just Christian. And here is a vid of Campolo talking to Colbert on the subject.

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:06 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

I read one book by Campolo. That was enough!

12:11 PM  
Blogger jasdye said...

he is an interesting and thought-provoking interview, though.

but yeah, same message for decades now. good message though.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Haven't read anything by him, but sounds intersting. For years I've been struggling to reconcile my Blue-State, liberal views with my firm belief in God and how these views may complement/contradict each other. Since every book sounds similar, do you have a good "jumping off" point?

7:55 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Art,
I agree. I just don't have the strength anymore.

Jas,
whenever I see he's around I try and go catch him speak. He is interesting and compelling. And very frustrating.

Chris,
I am the wrong person to ask about this. I am so disilussioned about the whole political/faith realm I am tempted to wash my hands of it.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home