Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Art Spiegelman & Returning To A Former World


I have just returned to a world I have not been to in ages. I can't remember the last time I had been there or even peaked over the fence into the yard entering that world. The world I returned to is the literary world of readings and discussions. There was a time in my past where a week didn't go by where I attended an open mic poetry reading, or some local author event or other, sitting with other like minded individuals wanting to draw from the experience of the author hoping someday that would be us standing up there reading from our newest work. With the exception of going to see Michael Palin read, which was purely for entertainment, I can't tell you the last time I've gone to something like this. Man I missed it. At that time it became a bit of an idol for me. I loved being the guy who was ahead of the curve about music, books, art, etc. I loved being the guy people came to for an explanation about the movie Memento. Not anymore. I know longer know what bands are coming out or who has a new novel or whatever. A part of me is glad.

All that to say I stepped back into the world to listen to attend a lecture by Art Spiegelman:

This isn't my first experience with Spiegelman as I went to a showing of the original artwork for the graphic novels Maus. There were a few things that disapointed me:

1) He wasn't giving autographs because of logistical issues. Right, ok fine, I have a feeling like it was more because he didn't want to, but no big deal.

2) He hardly talked about Maus. This disapointment was quickly pushed aside.

He instead talked about the creation of the comic form and how it influenced him. I admit as much as a comic fan as I was during my childhood I didn't know there was a whole world of underground comic books. There is a wonderful streaming video of the event. Enjoy.

Warming about the vid.... there were some naughty pictures in it. not many, but they were there. Watch with caution.

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:55 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home