Wednesday, December 27, 2006

What I've Discovered '06


It seems every time this year every peson comes up with their best of list. Usually the lists are pretty cool with very few suprises focussing only on what came out that year. But I like to focuss on the things I've discovered whether old or new because there are a lot of great things that have been out for a while that are worth remembering as well as newer stuff people should discover.

1. Evelyn Waugh - I have been a fan of British humour for years, but I often find reading humour to be a bit of a drag. Plus many of his books were written in the 30's and talk about the upper crust of England. Not something I can exactly relate to. Plus his books are usually found in the bargain bin with everything else they are trying to get rid of. So like many things I buy the books just sat on their shelf collecting dust when necessity forced me to give it a go. Though I only read one of his books I definately want to read more. I found myself laughing out loud! He is satire at its best. It has the intelligience and wit that so many people attempt at badly these days. Seriously, how man Bush is stupid jokes can you possibly have? None are special anymore. Yet, his work is special. They do show obsurdity. The nonsense of keeping up appearances and how being proper can go very wrong.


2. Falstaff - Proof that the right comic foil can make the most depressing subject lighter. A brilliant creation by Shakespeare he is the archetype of the loveable loser. The ne'er-do-well who you cannot help but love. He may be a drunkard, a womanizer, a coward, a braggard, lazy, a thief....., but at least he admits it. He knows who he is and makes no appologies. He makes 1 & 2 Henry IV more bearable plays and not such downers that you leave them being fed a little sugar with the medicine. Much like flavor Flav. Read a bit of his noble words:

A goodly portly man, i' faith, and a corpulent; of a

cheerful look, a pleasing eye and a most noble
carriage; and, as I think, his age some fifty, or,
by'r lady, inclining to three score; and now I
remember me, his name is Falstaff: if that man
should be lewdly given, he deceiveth me; for, Harry,
I see virtue in his looks. If then the tree may be
known by the fruit, as the fruit by the tree, then,
peremptorily I speak it, there is virtue in that
Falstaff: him keep with, the rest banish. And tell
me now, thou naughty varlet, tell me, where hast
thou been this month?



3. Serenity - For the longest time Jeff has been going on and on about how great the series Firefly was. How often in your day do you hear people talk about the brilliance of some stupid tv series or other? For me it is every day. Seriously. Do I really want to spend any more of my time invested in a stupid tv show? My time is already taken up with Law and Order, Simpsons, and Without A Trace re-runs. Do I need any more? He broke me down and I watched the movie based off the series. Darn Jeffrey!!! I loved it. It reminded me of a saturday afternoon matinee movie they used to show all the time when I was a kid. It was funny, the action kept my attention, the actors were right for the part, and the writer was willing to go against the mold and kill off major characters. Ok ok, fine, I'll buy the DVD of the series. Though it will never replace Doctor Who in my number one slought.

That is all I can really think of for now. What did you guys discover this past year? It can be old or new. Please feel free to share for me to post on the blog or to post on your own. I look forward to hearing what you have to share.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 1:21 PM

11 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

what a great list and great idea!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Discovery and learning! Great for '06 and hopefully more in store for '07. Happy New year to you.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I am doing this a bit at the last minute. Usually I try to come up with things to write about. I'm a bit off this year.

7:24 PM  
Blogger jasdye said...

it is a good idea.

and, yeah, overstreet got me on to the fleet of serenity also. but i was already hooked on buffy by that point, so it was a pretty logical jump.

good stuff.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Doctor Who indeed. I believe there are fewer of us faithful every year. Today's Sci-fi has lost its soul and replaced it with too much cgi. Nothing compares to Tom Baker battling a bulbous head monster silting its way out of some swirling trans-dimensional vortex.

What does it say about a person that they sit up till 1 in the morning watching Dr Who and Red Dwarf on PBS? Personally I think it says they are of above average intelligence and should be commended for the choice of entertainment.

As a side note it is a pity "Firefly" was not continued for a second season. Anytime I feel the need to threaten somebody I am compelled to finish my speech with "Also, I can kill you with my brain." Heh - and Jayne has to be one of the all time funniest sci-fi characters ever.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Too_Lively said...

Great list! I hope your holidays were wonderful!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

sorry i didn't see your email here so i thought i'd just leave a comment.

is there any chance you could change my link on your blog from cleave.blogs.com to pomomusings.com? thanks!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

crnbreadeater
Though I agree, nothing beats the classic doctor who, I do have to say they have done a great job with the new series. They didn't just focus on the fact they had a bigger budget, but still worked on having a strong story line as well. Though I think Christopher was a better doctor than tenant I still think he's worth while. The series is fun and campy as a whole. I hope they keep it up.

Too,
I wish I had given the list more thought. I am thinking of things now that I could have added. Oh well.

Adam
Will do my friend.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mad Monk said...

I have discovered babies...haven't slept in six weeks...

and Battlestar Gallactica

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mad Monk said...

Also I have discovered this, Cubicle Reverend, which may interest you somewhat:

www.wondercafe.ca

Check out the squirrel, and the dicussion board.

Really cool stuff.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Completely agree with you on points #2 and #3 (collecting Shakespeare criticism is a hobby, and my wife and I "loves the Mal"), but am sadly lacking in any knowledge about Evelyn Waugh, something I will now rectify!

Great blog!

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home