Saturday, November 25, 2006

Turn Of Events


I am doing something I swore I'd never do again, teach junior high sunday school. The usual guy is not going to be around this weekend so the youth director asked me to fill in. Ugh, I tried it once a number of years ago... it didn't turn out so well. On top of that, the current teacher is planning on stepping down to focus on something else and the youth director asked that I take it over permanently. He says I was the first person he had in mind and the only person he asked. I'm not going to like, it kind of scares me a bit. For the past 10 years I have been strictly in a support capacity. My ministry has usually been to just make myself available.

Speaking of the youth director, this wednesday we had our thanksgiving dinner at church. He was holding his young son when he said, "Say Hi, to Uncle....". It brought up some old wounds. At a previous church the youth director there had his children refer to me as Uncle.... Sadly, he eventualy put my friendship aside. I didn't realize how much it had hurt me to be brushed aside like that. Especially after all the history we had.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 9:41 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger LutherPunk said...

Maybe this is a good chance to talk to your youth minister about this wound.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Sometimes I think our greatest calling can be just to serve where we are needed. If we all waited for that perfect opportunity, we might just waste our gifts while... waiting.

I've been there and done that and, looking back, it sorta sucks. It's better to be involved, even if the method of service is not your first choice.

My (unsolicited) advice: throw yourself into it and see what happens. Say 'thanks' and do your best. I have found that some of the best opportunities for witnessing/ministry/outreach come from those times where the situation decidedly did not fit my plans. Who knows how big this could be!

Besides, you can always back out gracefully at a later time if it doesn't work out...

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes our church family can be more trying than biological one. I am sorry you have had to deal with this sort of hurt.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home