Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Moderation Is A Good Thing


Last month I had a post on whether Christians who drink are pushing this belief on those who don't. This lead to a good deal of response on the matter. I am attempting to read a rather heady book from Blaise Pascal. The guy was a mathmetician and physicist so of course it's going to be a bit on the heavy side. Still, there is a part of me that likes the way he thinks:

Too much and too little wine. Give him none, he cannot find truth; give him too much, the same.

The guy was French, wine may have been an aid to him. If you want to muck around this work there is a free online version from Christian Classics Ethereal Library.

Other worthwile reads:
Strange Culture talks about the meaning of success and does it more successfuly than my own timid attempts.

Pastor Chryst share's his most recent sermon.

And Wilmer shares wisdom from Dave Barry.

Labels: , ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:40 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Natsthename said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting, Dave The Cubicle Reverend!

No way, there really is a guy named Pastor Chryst? NO WAY!

My stance on this is that if wine was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.

11:57 AM  
Blogger LutherPunk said...

Good quote. And from Pascal no less.

6:23 AM  
Blogger jasdye said...

what i've often seen is that most christians (esp. conservative ones like me) who say that you could offend someone and make them stumble are only talking about themselves.

and although you may cause them to stumble, it's not stumbling back into a life of wanton alcoholism and orgies and the like. it's a stumbling into judgmentalism.

there are those cases when we should be sensitive to either sensibilities (i still don't drink near my pastors or mention it to a lot of christians) or, better yet, common sense (drinking near my dad - a "recovering alcoholic" as they say - is a bad idea altogether).

in any case, moderation is a great idea and better practice.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Moderation is ok, but I worry some times what it might lead to, I drink occaisionally but I wonder if that 'few drinks a day' is ok or not. Anyway, nice quote.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Dan Morehead said...

Thanks for this.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home