Sunday, February 05, 2006

The 32 Year Old Virgin Responds To The 40 Year Old Virgin



I have finally gotten around to see this movie. I kept putting it off because I wasn't sure how they were going to treat Steve Carell's character. Was he going to be a decent human being or such a huge dork to make him a dateless wonder? Was the movie going entirely mock his decision at celebacy or give him credit for it? As a person in his 30's and still a virgin I hate to talk about it because it can easily become your identity. You become "The Virgin". To hollywoods credit they did an ok job on the subject. Once the cat came out of the bag Carell became so identified with the fact that he's a virgin that everyone around him felt it was their duty to try and help him. This happened to me with some people I have know, but not to the extreme in the movie. Yet he was the one who was most content and happy with his life than the guys who were getting some. Though the morality got a little muddied in the movie it pleased me that they treated the subject with some humor. His bumbling and stumbling with trying to date, how he reacts very candidly to the people around him how he doesn't have the problem, and ultimately his marriage to someone special. I enjoyed the movie, it was funny, and I can relate big time to Carell in the movie. Though I don't have all the action figures.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:25 PM

15 Comments:

Blogger Shesawriter said...

I honestly don't have any desire to see this movie. It just doesn't look like something I'd be interested in.

Tanya

9:50 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

She,
It's not a movie for everyone. Though I found it funny, and it made me laugh at myself a bit, it is still a pretty crude film.

Krist,
If they hadn't made it so funny I don't think it'd have gotten the response that it did.

6:22 AM  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

I don't see anything wrong with saving yourself for the right one! I have 0 desire to see this movie. I think each person has a right to live their life however it pleases them. In the end, we all face the same maker right?

On the other topic, I had no idea Rev^3... good for you. Are you saving yourself for someone special, or are you pledging your celebacy to God?

This brings me to another question... are you really a reverand? I did not know, your blog illudes to finishing school, and I have an idea that it may be in reference to religion... it never says. :)

10:10 AM  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

hmmm, I guess this comment should have gone to the question post... lol!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Logan,
Men will be men whether thye are christian or not.

Sprite,
I am a cubicle jocky. I am planning on becoming a minister in the future. I am saving myself for the woman god has intended for me, whoever she may be. I believe it is something special to be shared with a man and a woman, but will not put down anyone who hasn't. It always upsets me when people do.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Haven't seen it: didn't think it looked very funny. But, I'll take your word for it. :)

1:40 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Something tells me mostly guys will find it funny because even christian guys together can be pretty bad.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

UGH. I hate that you say that. It gives me little to no hope.

That's it.

I'm staying single.

Guys are scary.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

we aren't always that bad.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

I agree with Stephanie! Little to no hope on finding a good Christian guy...

7:28 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Gee thanks Kristi, you know how to make a guy feel special.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

ahahaha, Stephanie and Kristi are already giving up in at their young age

hold out hope ladies . . . .

8:20 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I know,they should wait until they are my age to become a cynic.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

I really liked this movie! I thought it was surprising how much heart it had actually. I was expecting it to be more whacky and goofy, but parts of it were really sweet. I liked hearing your thoughts on it.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I havent seen the movie yet, it looks pretty interesting. I'm glad that you are saving yourself for the right woman Cubes, that's great.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home