Thursday, September 01, 2005

Wiser Beyond Her Years


How do you feel simathy for a racist? How do you manage to feel any sort of pity on a person who's beliefs are so negative and heartless that all you want to do is hate them. Flannery O'Connor does this in spades. I do not know how, but she makes hateful characters seem so pathetic because of that unjustified hatred. And she does it so poetically and wise beyond her years I often thought I was reading a story by a wizened old woman like Eudora Whelty. She was in her 20's! How was she able to write so passionately and intelligiently about such difficult topics. Many writers today who have years in the MFA circuit do not write like this. I love her work. When it comes to fiction writers she is one of my to 10 along with James Joyce, Raymond Carver, etc.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 10:42 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

the best movie for this exact connection is CRASH - all prejudices, all stereotypes, and how we think we have it all figured out. kinda raw and depressing, but in the end asks some big questions.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I have been hearing that. I plan on catching it when it comes out on video.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home