Friday, April 18, 2008

Missing Nature


I remember as a kid waking up early on a saturday morning and riding my bike to the local pond to fish all day. My parents never freaked out because they knew where I was and more than likely I'd be home by dinner time. Or meeting with some friends at the ravine after school to climb around rocks and jump across the little stream. My father would take me to Indian Guide camp to fish and take nature hikes and even shoot air rifles. Or I'd come home from school, drop my books off at home and leave a note for my parents telling them where I'd be and not coming home until dinner time. And my parents never worried. At least, they never let on that they worried. After listenign to Richard Louv on more than one occassion it makes me feel sorry for the kids of this generation for they are spending more time in front of one type of screen or another than they are outside getting fresh air. I work part-time at a video game store (I hate to say this) where a majority of the kids who come in there are seriously overweight. And it doesn't come from the parents, because the parents tended to be of a normal weight. This is why I think I am going to do what I can to support this orginization.

Labels: ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:20 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Janine said...

Brian and I grew up near patches of woods (as big as you can get in Cherry Hill, although Brian;s was decent size) and we'd be in the woods all the time. My parents were also good about taking us to the local parks and the pines. We'd check out all the wtlands and dunes at the shore, not just go to the beach. We've tried to do the same for our kids and they love it, especially when we come home with critters in tow:)

Sadly not every child gets this experience. My kids have friends that have never been in the woods. or at least not till they come with us. I'm all about kids experiencing nature and learning about God's creation and also learning how to take care of it. On Spring break my kids and some of their friends and I took trash bags into our local patch of woods and cleaned up a bit.

We need to organize some hikes in the pines!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

If you ever do that I'd be glad to chaperone. Jamie knows all the good places to go.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home