Monday, April 07, 2008

Finding Beauty Among The Thorns


Could you imagine walking through the subway on your way to work only to pass right on by one of the greatest living violinists in the world? I think it's pretty sad that we so quickly pass by the beauty of God's creation like that. How we are so clock and time driven, we have to be on schedule, be here or there at a certain time or else life will end! We pass it by every day. I know in my own jaunts through the city I've missed beautiful gardens, sculpture, Mosaics, and gifted musicians who I may throw in a buck or two as I rush on by. Once I saw an elderly Asian woman play a bamboo flute in the bitter cold. More recently it was a violinist with one person standing to listen to him play. I catch a half-listen. Maybe a quick glance as I walk on by. God gave them these abilities and the desire to share them with us. It is an opportunity to be uplifted, to transcend the mundane of my life, and I miss it. The funny thing is I know my parents taught me better. That's why the drug me off to art exhibits or Japanese tea gardens so that I may be moved by something greater than myself.



SONG.
by John Donne


GO and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.

If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair.

If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.

Labels: ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:29 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger jasdye said...

yeah, how much beauty we miss b/c it doesn't match our adopted notions of what is beautiful.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home