Friday, March 14, 2008

A Rant Against St. Patricks Day


For the love of all things wonderful in the Emerald Isle I cannot begin to tell all of you how much I hate St. Patricks day. Actually, it isn't the day that bothers me, it is all the people pretending to be Irish for a day to give them another excuse to get so drunk they puke green. I am offended in two ways. First as a person of Irish descent who loves his heritage and was fortunate to have a few friends teach me some of the finer beauties of the culture. Between the history, music, and literature there is enough wonderful things to keep me busy for the rest of my life. Many of the people have never of let alone paid attention to O'Casey, Kavanaugh, Keane, The Wolfe Tones, The Chieftains (my dad once got free tickets to see them live though he had no idea who they were, but that's another story), The Hot House Flowers...! They do not know the signifigance of wearing green, the shamrock, or tasted a trully fine porter or dram of whiskey.

I am also insulted as a Christian. Much like Santa Clause, St. Patrick was a very real person. He isn't associated with leprachauns or pots of gold. He was a man of God who was kidnapped as a child and sold into slaver on Ireland. Though he managed to escape he felt lead by God in a vision to go back to Ireland and serve the people who once held him as a captive. He was a believer who gave up comfort and wealth to do the will of his Father God, his anam-cara (soul friend), and a pagan culture living in darkness. And for the record, the shamrock is significant because St. Patrick used it to explain the trinity to the pagan elders.

St. Patrick's Life

The Confession Of St. Patrick

Labels: ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:53 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

Point taken. The commercialization of Holidays bugs me too. It happens with Easter and Halloween as well.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The commercial pop culture be damned, I say! It's up to you and me keep the truth about St. Patrick alive. I put up this post about our dear brother a couple years ago. St. Patrick is my hero.

I'm reaching for a bottle of Jameson's right now. When are we getting together?

12:23 PM  
Blogger Art said...

I meant to say earlier that I saw the Chieftains in the late 80's. They were really, REALLY good.

12:08 AM  
Blogger jasdye said...

kiss me, i'm about half irish!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Art,
It's funny you bring up easter. I heard someone say the same thing. How we get pissed at X-mas, but don't blink an eye at choc. bunnies.

Dorsey,
good stuff man. I promise, after easter.

Jas,
I think I am a 3rd Irish.

12:07 PM  
Blogger RC said...

your the first i've heard this year truly rant about st. patrick's day.

interesting thoughts.

i just kind of ignore it...maybe you think that's bad too.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In our community a local congregation celebrates St Paddy's Day with an Irish Stew and live entertainment by local musicians, many of whom are Irish. It's a grand evening, and alcohol free.

Re. your bemoaning the secularists taking over St Paddy's Day. Remember Luther? He employed bar room tunes and composed hymns. Those in the bar on St. Paddy's Day may actually hear a seed of the essence of who the saint was and with the mysterious workings of the Holy Spirit be drawn into a deeper life in Christ and his church.

Blessings,
Dim Lamp
Dim Lamp
Dim Lamp Two

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home