Monday, March 24, 2008

Curb Your Enthusiasm




How on earth have I waited so long to catch Curb Your Enthusiasm? How can I have let this happen? I am so ashamed! The show is on it's fifth season and I finally watched the complete first season this weekend. And it has to be one of the painful comedies for me to watch. Almost everything that happens to Larry is so cringing I have to look away, but it is such a train wreck you can't help watching! He is living proof that no good deed goes unpunished. Even when he tries to do things that are right like attend an incest survivors group or help a blind man move his television it almost always goes badly. And not just mildly wrong either. When things go bad, they go really bad! And forget about trying to fix the situation. No one seems to give the poor guy a chance to make amends going for the throat and not letting go. I feel for the guy. I can relate to him. Any TV show that starts off the first episode with getting into an argument with your best friends new girl friend and then sitting with your wife's friend while your pants have an unfortunate bunching at the crotch. It's good stuff.

Labels: , ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:23 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

Believe it or not, I've never heard of it (I don't get HBO). But, it sounds like something right up my alley.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

" Almost everything that happens to Larry is so cringing I have to look away, but it is such a train wreck you can't help watching!"

Why we're drawn to the irrecoverable social gaffe might make a good topic for discussion. That's me to a tee. I don't get HBO either, but I have a friend who has two DVRs full of Curb Your Enthusiasm. It is truly masterful stuff. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that, in turn, Larry embodies all the Seinfeld characters, especially Cosmo Kramer and George Costanza. I think I need to follow your lead and start at the beginning.

That said, if you enjoy the pain of social awkwardness, you MUST MUST, MUST get hold of the BBC production of The Office. There were two seasons, and then a Christmas special that wrapped up the loose ends. You have to believe me. Ricky Gervais gets himself into such inescapably delusional foot-in-mouth, head-up-ass situations, and then just lets the silence hang there, I promise you'll squirm in your chair. Although Gervais is the Executive Producer of the American version, it pales by comparison to the original. You must get it.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Art,
You of all people will appreciate this show!

Dorsey,
I saw the office. In fact, I do not find the american version nearly as funny as the brit version. There were times I had to nod my head and say ,"Yep, that's what it's like." Though I have not seen the Christmas Special. I'll have to get it. Oh, and the guy who plays George said he pretty much ripped off Larry David to make his character.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Blackjack Strategies said...

I am assured, what is it was already discussed.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home