Saturday, September 23, 2006

Worth A Listen: Regina Spektor




Nothing suprised me more to see Regina Spektor have a video on VH1. Soviet Kitcsh is the definition of an indie album. It's stripped down and bare, not necessarily the greatest of quality in the world, but since the music speaks for itself it doesn't matter. The music is odd in many respects, but in a playful way. Not odd for the sake of being odd. Her new album Begin to Hope is more poppy and accessable. Normally that'd make me lose interest in a band. Regina manages to still keep her indie feel to her unlike say Liz Phair who just sold out. There are many power piano bands out there right (Five for Fighting, The Fray, and Daniel Powter), she stands out because for her the piano is in the back ground for many of the songs. She's one of my favorites. I gauge a band by whether I'd be willing to pay to see them or not and if so for how much. Will I be happy just owning one album, or would I want to own others?

Cube Rev's Rating:
Would I want to go see them live? Absolutely
Would I be willing to pay? Definately, would be well worth the money. I'd pay $25
Would I be happy owning one album? Nah, I'd need more to see what she does next.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 9:20 AM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Regina....I am going to try to catch her show in Minneapolis in a couple of weeks. I can't believe that she has a video on VH1.

12:01 AM  
Blogger LutherPunk said...

Yeah, Liz Phair did sell out. That last album of hers was horrid.

This is a decent clip.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Wes,
She is the last person I'd excpect to have a video on VH1.

Luther,
From what i have been told Liz Phair pretty much doesn't give that great of a performance.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Not normally the kind of thing I would listen to... But it's catchy, a little weird and she has a nice voice. Neat video too.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home