Monday, January 23, 2006

Book Review: Adonis - If Only The Sea Could Sleep


Adonis - If Only The Sea Could Sleep

I didn't notice the little subtitle when I bought the book at Adonis' reading. I was a bit ticked because there is a good reason why very few books are devoted to love poetry. It is difficult to write consistently a series of poems any subject let alone about love without sounding trite. Adonis proved me wrong. His poetry went beyond the puppy love that gives a warm fuzzy feeling and shows us the transendent nature of love. He even goes so far as combining the spiritual and erotic without making it cheap. The work is beautiful, stark, and to the point.

"Beginning Of Space"

The body of earth fortells fire,
water; its impending fate.

Is this why wind turns into palm trees
why space becomes a womn?

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:43 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Lita said...

on my list of things to read!!!

1:42 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Twisted,
This is probably one of the best books of poetry I have ever read. If I were to tell someone, "Buy this book of poems" this would be one of the biggies.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Frankie said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely have to check it out!! I feel like all of my time is going to be devoted to trying to keep up with your recommendations ;).

6:42 AM  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

I love poetry, but love poetry is the hardest for me to write. It is exactly how you said it "It is difficult to write consistently a series of poems any subject let alone about love without sounding trite" I will have to check this out, maybe during my next break!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Frankie,
Of all the recomendations I've made, this one I think is the one you'd most enjoy. His use of language is surreal, but accessible.

Sprite,
I bet you'd do a good job at it. You have a strong poetic nature.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Mack,
That is probably the case for Adonis and other romantic poets. Probably more so than we realize. This book collects work written over several decades.

Logan,
Poetry is a lot like Snowboarding. I've never snowboarded, would you expect me do a black diamond? Of course not (at least I hope not). But snow boarding is something different for you than it is for me. You'd probably recommend something more my speed, something to ease me in to it, and eventually lead me to more difficult trails. I'd do the same with poetry. If I were to recommend a poet for you to get your feet wet it'd be more along the lines or Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, or Walt Whitman. That way I could introduce you to something that I love without it being intimidating.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wow, I haven't read a book on poetry since college. Too many books to read and not enough time. But poetry needs to be in that mix. I'm off to check it out.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home