Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Where the Rubber Meets the Road


Last night a friend of mine called just as I was getting ready for bed. He asked if I wanted to hang out, but declined since I was going to be sleeping. As I tried to go to sleep a nagging feeling came over me that he didn't really want to just hang out. There was more to this than just wanting to play some video games or whatever. Turns out I was right. As he told me about what was happening in his life at that moment he definately wanted and needed more than just a hang out time. Every time I turn around it seems someone I know is going through some sort of trauma. Not just friends. I am constantly hearing about people who have died, or are sick, or poor, or having problems with their spouses and children..... it goes on. When I was younger I had a very definate idea how to define ministry: getting up in front of people and talking about who Jesus is and eventually leading them to Christ. Now I am seeing that is not the case. If anything, that is just one aspect of what it means to minister to others. Our lives, as Christians, is a ministry. We are called to love others as Christ loved us. To serve out of humility and grace the people who are around us. What an awesome challenge! To serve the people around us in their times of need. To rejoice when there is reason to celebrate and comfort when there is time for joy. I am always hearing messages with the line, "...this is what being a christian is all about." I don't know if this is the case. What I do know is there are people in my life who need the love of Christ manifested in their lives. Am I willing to go forth and bring it to them?

posted by Out Of Jersey | 4:41 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger Gerald said...

Good word--the christian life, full time ministry aside--is a high calling.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

It is also the easiest one to take for granted.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home