Sunday, April 01, 2007

A Problem Child Sees Christ


Tonight the church had a special worship service focussing on The Stations Of The Cross. I haven't done anything like this since my CCD days at Christ The King Church. Theirs were hand carved with wood showing stunning realism that still makes me shiver. This time around we modified it having instead a symbol reprisenting various parts of Christs passion, death, and ressurection, ie: a stone for the tomb, a rope for his capture, etc. I admit I was wary about how my junior high kids would have handled the imposed quiet and reflection. Every so often not only do they suprise me, but they do it in a big way. Many of them lasted much longer in the quiet than most of the adults filling up pages of notebook space on their thoughts and reflections. When we talked about it with them afterwards I could tell they weren't just going through the motions (except for one, but God will touch his heart when he's ready). There was one girl known for being a bit of a hard heart. I expected her to get all noisy and rowdy bugging us to let her leave. I couldn't be more wrong. I think she spent the most time in the sanctuary than anybody. I am not sure if there was a definate change of heart. Perhaps we are seeing the beginnings of a true movement of God.

On another note: One of the highlights of my morning included having my friends son snuggle up to me and fall asleep. All I could do was look up to God and say, "Thank-you." In all the craziness of my days and very little free time I got to see a brief figment of peace.

Labels: ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 8:17 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger jasdye said...

i love it when teens catch me by surprise!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That is probably one of the most serene, beautiful things I've ever experienced as well, and one the things I think about when I think about my future son. Mid June can't come quickly enough!

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home