Saturday, April 07, 2007

Content in Ignorance, A Rant in the Key of Sarcasm


This morning I met with my discipler Darrell to read over 1 Peter 1:13-25. I know I picked the right person to disciple me because he, along with my buddy Ken, keep bringing up aspects of the Christian faith that I have no idea about. Such as: The Westminster Confession of Faith, The Council of Dordt, and The Nicene Creed. They actually had the nerve to expect me to not only know about them, but to actually read them as well. This has opened up in my mind a whole world of new questions and ideas that I hoped to long put to bed. Oh no. I miss my days of ignorance. It made my faith so much easier. So as Darrell and I are talking over various things I wonder aloud why I am even bothering to study literature or introduce poetic language and literary licence to the Christian community. Is it so bad to have certain Christian novels (I'm sure you can think of a few) even if they aren't particularly good? What difference will it make in the long run whether a Christian David Sedaris or Hemingway come out of our midst? Darrell says, "Because you care about it and this is your ministry." Doh! Why couldn't he just let me wallow in my self pity like other people? And to make matters worse he gave me a homework assignment. I don't recall any of the great disciples in Schripture giving homework. Darrell expects me to take the verses we read and put them in my own words. Right. So much for ignorance.

Labels: , ,

posted by Out Of Jersey | 2:38 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger jasdye said...

I don't recall any of the great disciples in Schripture giving homework.

um... check again. o, sarcastic one. maybe start with Paul's letters to his disciples (esp. Timothy) and Acts. oh, II Timothy 2:2.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jennwith2ns said...

I was thinking the same thing as jasdye. But also I was thinking your title was great. And also I was thinking a "Christian David Sedaris and Hemingway" is a mind-blowing concept. I mean, if you really think about it . . .

(Then again, what ISN'T mindblowing about Christ?)

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home