Friday, October 20, 2006

One Line, A Church Gets Cheeky, Is Darfur the New Ethiopia?, and Vonnegut


Wes has a neat post about finding a line in a book. It's interesting to see what you come up with. Give it a shot, see what you find.

The blog Slice of Laodicea isn't known for hit's sense of humour. And they keep the trend going. I'm sorry, they are stilly and stupid and I wouldn't necessarily show them to my church. But dag it's nice to see the church showing their silly side.

I first heard about Darfur from Reno. I'm going to plead ignorance. I admit, until he blogged about it I couldn't point out where Darfur is. To put it plainly: Modern Genocide. It's sickening what is going on there. And the never ending conversation has now turned their sights to the problems there. You know how I feel about this. Conversation good, action better. At least this time they are doing something. Not a lot, but it's a start. One thing I have noticed is that people never think about Africa except once every 10 years or so. First it was Ethiopia, then Somalia, now it's Darfur. People get angry. Send a little money their way. Heck, maybe even a concert or two. Hopefully this time around we'll actually remember. Sorry for the snarkiness. I can't help wondering how long it'll be before we forget these people too.

And for no reason at all, here's Kurt Vonnegut on The Daily Show. After all these years, and with age still catching up with him, he's still the man.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 3:59 PM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello and thank you for stopping by my blog:)

Sometimes I think ppl see Africa as a country. The media and such keep talking about it as if it was, rather than as a huge continent where millions of people are struggling for survival. And they have no idea how hard it is to organize aid there, with politics and customs and religion that are videly different, not only from country to country but also within the countries. It's to easy to mentally shrink the problem, if you know what I mean.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful clip of Vonnegut! And I totally agree with you about Africa. This is a very troubled world, and I just don't know if humans live long enough to individually do enough to fix some problems. That's not an excuse, just more reason why what we teach and show our children is so vitally important.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

well put choochoo, you said what I was thinking.

Too_Lively
we really do have the shortest attention spans in the world don't we?

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home