Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Early Morning Prayer


I am not a morning person. Ever since I started working a second job at night I am lucky if I get to bed by 10:00 PM. So when I was asked to attend a mens prayer meeting on tuesday mornings at the ridiculous hour of 6:00 AM I missed a few times. OK, up until today I missed every time. My pastor was in the army so he's used to bounding out of bed full steam ahead. So this time I willed myself to come. I willed so hard that I had a serious bout of insomnia. So in to church I march, at 6:30. At least I made the effort to get there. From the chapel I hear these pleas and cries that I knew weren't coming from the men in the prayer group. So all throughout prayer I am fighting to stay awake and asking myself who was that man crying out so passionately for the father? I come to find out it was the Korean pastor whose congregation meets in our church. On top of that he is there every morning at the same time crying out passionately for God. This is a practice common to Korean christians on account it is a devotional practice of Budhists and they want to show that Christians can be just as devoted. Every morning, rain or shine. And I come in grumbling because I do not have any coffee.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:09 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger josé said...

I hear that on not being a morning person... but I would get up early to see the Korean congregation. I love seeing the different ways people worship. I think it is so inspirational. I wish that everyone would get a chance to see things like that, then maybe everyone would realize how amazing true authentic worship could be, and how different it could be.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I have been tempted to see the Korean congregation. There's one problem. They speak entirely in korean. And the japanese congregation that also meets there I think speaks in Japanese.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Most pets are ignorant of the subtleties of varieties of worship. I did once get to worship in the Dominican Republic. And at an african american church. As for the latter, bring a sandwhich. It takes a long time. They get into it.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

In the last 2 years I have been a morning person, I dont know what happened :D
I would love to see other ethenticities worship too, I read a while back about the Korean Christians devotions toward Christianity.
I think it's great you are going to this morning prayer meeting too!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Wow, thanks for the information. I think what amazed me more, wasn't the hour, but the heart felt honesty of his pleas.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home