Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Rapping Hasidic Jew


I seriously thought this was a joke. When I first heard about a rapping reggae Hasidic Jew I thought someone created another rapping Jew gimic for a little comic relief. How wrong I am! Not only is Matisyahu not a gimmick he's a legitimate talent. After hearing him perform live on the radio I was blown away by his performance. He is serious about the craft which comes out very clearly in his music. His lyrics are tight and instead of just mimicking a musical style he makes it entirely his own. He isn't a poser, he's the real deal. Which is seriously lacking in most Christian music these days. He didn't try to piggy back onto modern culture to make himself relevant or cool (which tends to fail miserably) he used the music to reflect his culture without worrying whether he's relevant or not. The music speaks for itself and does very well to stand on its own. I do not know if he'll become a mainstream success or if people will be able to look beyond him being a novelty act. Hopefully he'll be taken seriously as the artist he is leading to a strong career.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:52 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like this guy is quite a good artist. It's been a while since I heard good and new Christian music, i'm not saying that in a mean way, it's just that nothing has appealed to me lately. I shall check him out.
Oh and I want my cube head tshirt!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

There have been a few good artists to come out recently. Pedro The Lion, Sufjan Stevens, Over The Rhine, etc.

I'm not sure I want to give you a t-shirt now after calling me old.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I havent heard of those artists, where have I been?
Hey I did not call you old :(
If you are old then I must be too bc I think we are the same age.
But in middle earth, that's a different story.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

If it's in middle earth that's a different story.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home