Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Binding Up The Shorts of Humanity


Why are people so sensitive about everything? Have we lost all sense of irony? I thought South Park and Chris Rock cured us all of our over sensitive natures. Nope, I'm wrong. Here's what I learned from this sight:


  1. People Have No Problem At Making Fun Of Others, But When They Get Made Fun Of It Becomes An Outrage. I think we as Christians sometimes deserve to be made fun of. We ask for it. When someone jokes around with our beliefs we take it so personally. A friend of mine who is a comedian does a joke about how he looks like a disco Jesus, not to blast Christ, but because He does look like a Disco Jesus!
  2. The Intention of Those Shirts and Threadless T-Shirts Are Completely Different. Of course Those Shirts have a more vitriolic message because that's what they want! They don't want to be cute and be artistic. They want to be hard hitting and push the button. Quite frankly, even though I prefer T-shirts like Threadless, I have to admit I find Those Shirts to be quite funny.
  3. I Have Been Taught That The Best Way To Stop Teasing Is To Ignore It And Take It Like A Man. 'Nuff said there.

Sigh. We should learn to laugh out ourselves. My friends who aren't Christians (many of whom are professional stand up comedians) tease me all the time and I tease back. We don't take it so personally. If anything by being able to tease each other it makes it easier for us to discuss these things more seriously when the time comes. When it comes to politics I do take my friends words seriously to heart:

We don't talk about politics in this family.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 1:42 PM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is kind of fun and exciting for me. Thanks for reading my blog and commenting.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

A bit of controversy can liven things up some times.

4:13 AM  
Blogger josé said...

"When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him." - Thomas Szasz

I've had that on one of my profiles somewhere and I thought it was fitting.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

That's a good point Jose. Sometimes I think we beg to be made fun of.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home