Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Notebook Review


In spite of my post yesterday, when I read a recent post on notebooks I had to reply. I admit I am a total notebook nerd. I love the way they look and when considering which one to buy I take into consideration things like will it fit in my bag or pocket, cost, quality of paper, and how easy would it be to write with on my lap if I didn't have a table at hand. I do not have a preference as to what type of notebook I will write in. Usually they are whatever I find or am given for a gift. I feel bad whenever people buy either expensive notebooks or pens because I either will lose them or they'll just fall apart. So I tend to go on the cheap picking up whatever is available at the local Borders in the bargain bin. I can usually find a decent hardbound for about 3 bucks, but they are hard to keep open and for some reason have alternating blank pages instead of lined. It's wierd. The good thing about them is they fit easily in any bag and I can usually last a year before buying a new one. I also use the marble composition books because I can find them at the dollar store. The problem with them is they are not very durable and fall apart too easily. Plus the paper bleeds if I use any type of pen other than a ball point. For a buck what can I expect? In spite of what people will have you believe ultimately it doesn't matter what you use. The brilliant sci-fi writer Octavia Butler once gave the advise that we try mixing it up from time to time. Don't be afraid to try out different notebooks. I do recommend you do not waste your money on Moleskines. They are so over rated. Besides being way too expensive they tend to fall apart. A few weeks ago when I was walking through Philly I saw a bunch of people all using the Moleskine hoping to tap into the mistique that Hemingway may have used that type of book (he hadn't). It makes me giggle. Save yourself 8 bucks and just buy yourself a composition book.

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 5:30 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I was a huge composition book nerd in college. These days I find that I'm insanely happy with steno pads, small spiral-bound on top, divided into columns inside. You can pick up packs of 12 for less than $12.00 usually.

Glad to see that a day after you post about not having anything to say you come up with something fun like this.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Art said...

From one notebook nerd to another, I totally agree. The fancy ones are a waste. I just grab the spiral bound things at the discount store.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

MOnkey,
I agree with you, I try to go on the cheap. The only reason why I don't like ones with rings is they tend to bend.

Art,
It is sort of like fancy pens. My sis had one custom made for me out of wood. I love it but am afraid to use it.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home