Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Where Are The People?


I have been asking myself this question since I graduated highschool over 15 years ago. Though I think Ken is being too hard on himself by saying he killed the young adult group at our church (he me also be saying this tongue in cheek. It's hard to tell in blog form) because this is a trend that has pretty obviously been going on for years. I can't tell you all the times I have gone to churches where I am either the only person in my age group or been the only person under the age of 45. I appreciate what Ken has to say on the subject since I am the one he has seen fit to help run our small, but faithful young adult group. It is hard because what the married couples may have different needs than the college student. And the single working stiff may have different needs than them. On top of that I have people asking me what does it mean to be a young adult? Where does it end? I attend and am the oldest one there at 34. Though my role is different than the other people who attend. I am there to be spiritually fed as well as having the added burden of trying to decide how to best serve them.

Labels:

posted by Out Of Jersey | 11:45 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

it was realist tongue and cheek... lets face it, when a program is under your direct supervision and it dies as a direct result of the changes you make.... you pretty much get the credit!! don't try to steal my treasure.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Jennwith2ns said...

Hear hear with this post! I am in an almost identical situation (with the difference that I'm not officially or directly in charge of our group--but it is small and I do host it, and I am the oldes).

9:12 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Ken,
ooooh! alright, I get it. Sorry, like I said, sarcasm isn't exactly the easiest thing to gauge in print.

Jenn,
It is hard. And it is very telling when one of Ken's former young adulters says he'll come if it's fun.

4:22 AM  
Blogger jasdye said...

ow.

our small group is also small. although there is great need in the church, somehow we only get a steady half dozen on a good week.

but our problem really is that we are among the oldest in our church. we need some mentors. boomers and greatest generationers, will you come to our church?

6:02 PM  
Blogger Art said...

I ask too. We are in a definite minority in our congregation and I am the youngerst person in my Bible study group. I don't know what the answer is.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

I'm about to pull the plug on a small group - mostly, I'm tired and burned out and see the end nearer than the others probably. Am I killing it? I hope "pruning" is the more descriptive term when we're over with.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Isaacfhtagn said...

Nicce blog

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home