Friday, September 23, 2005

Grabbing The Baton


I have just been tagged (sort of) from the king of Pre-Modern thought himself. I love these things because they either: (a) help me realize that I spend way too much time either at the computer, tv, or with earphones on; (b) I need to clean house big time.
So here it goes:

1. Total number of books you own?
I'm competitive with Millinerd, but while his are worthwile subjects like theology, philosophy, and history (I have a shelf dedicated to this) I tend more towards poetry(an entire book case taller than me). Especially poetry in translation. I have an entire room of my house dedicated to books.

2. What is the last book(s) you bought?
Martin Luther - Small Catechism
Robert Lowell - Notebooks
Both used and in great condition.

3. What was the last book you read?
Derek Walcott - The Prodigal

4. List 5 books that are particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order):
1. Mike Yaconelli's Messy Spirituality & Dangerous Wonder. I know this is cheating, but in my mind they are one book. Never has two books on faith have so greatly affected me. I actually felt uncomfortable after reading them.

2. Earnest Hemingway's Collected short stories. He was the man! Not only could he write, but he wasn't some guy stuck in an ivory tower writing about life, he lived it.

3. Donald Hall's poetry, sorry to be vague, but I first read him in a poetry journal. He was the first modern poet I discovered. All I could say afterwards was, "Wow!" Finally got to meet him last year. He more than met my expectations.

4. Taha Muhammad Ali - Never Mind: an incredible Middle Eastern poet. He is a humble man who runs a small gift shop in Jerusalem. Not a typical career for a poet. I met him as well. It is rare where I feel in awe of another person's presence.

5. The Collected Stories of Flannery O'connor, for the reasons listed here.

5. Tag five people, any five people who read:
1. Far Country Tell
2. Caffeinated Adventures
3. Looking Closer
4. Burr in the Burgh
5. isutificare


WORTH READING:
Looks like Benny Hinn is still going strong. We are living in a world of a glitzy velvet Elvis Gospel.

The 100 Minute Bible could be the next best thing since minute rice. Far Country Tell has taken a very critical view of this new book. Though I am wondering if, much like The Message Bible, it could be used as a suplement, not a replacement, to Scripture. Having never seen it I, and many of my compatriates, might be judging it too quickly. Though I have a feeling Far is more correct in his thinking than I am, I want to see what the fuss is before I make a final decision in the matter. I greatly appreciate Far's sight. I don't always get where he is coming from, and I have a feeling we do not see eye to eye on some non-essential matters, but at least he gets me to think!

What Concerts have meant the most to you and why? Looking Closer asked this big question after seeing Arcade Fire live.

I appreciate Burr in the Burgh's most recent post. Someday I hope to study for the pastorate and he gives some great insights into the matter.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 6:48 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

some time today - promise :)

8:37 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I know you of all people have probably just as many books as I do.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Lyn said...

I read Caffeinated Adventures so consider myself tagged... Here's what I wrote at Thought Renewal. Thanks for the fun. Lyn

http://thoughtrenewal.blogspot.com/2005/09/friday-tag-party.html

12:01 PM  
Blogger Pastor Scott Stiegemeyer said...

Cubicle Rev,

Hey,I am very impressed with your list of what you read. I was especially happy to see another Flannery O'Conner fan. I also am a big fan of the stories and novels of Hemingway. Thanks for tagging me. I'll respond soon.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Pastor Scott Stiegemeyer said...

Cubicle Rev,
I also wanted to say that I'm happy to know that my post on the pastoral ministry was helpful to you. I'm thinking of doing a series of posts on being a pastor.

Since you have mentioned that that is something you aspire to, allow me to encourage you. There is a tremendous need, as you know.

Allow me to make a few added suggestions:

1) Don't give up. I know lots of men who don't complete their training until they are in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. And they often make excellent pastors.

2) Don't take short cuts. I don't know what your plans are regarding education. But I personally recommend getting a college bachelor's degree (if you haven't already) and then go to a good sound seminary.

3) You are evidently a person who reads widely. That is excellent. Keep that up, no matter how busy life becomes.

4) Certainly, bathe your plans with prayer and continue always seeking counsel and guidance from wise Christian brothers and sisters.

5) On a practical level, I think it is highly advisable to get at least some training in Greek and Hebrew, the more the better. I, myself, find foreign languages very challenging so I am no expert, but I wish I were. Maybe you've already done all this, so I just offer this as my viewpoint.

Again, keep praying. Don't become discouraged. It is a noble praiseworthy thing to desire to become a pastor. But proceed with your eyes open. The mantle of being a parish pastor is rewarding, but is often accompanied by suffering and loneliness. The enemy is strong. But our Lord is the victor.

In the meantime, live each day as God's servant wherever you are, in whatever professions or vocations you currently hold.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Gerald said...

I accep the tag. I'll try to get to it this weekend.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home