Saturday, September 17, 2005

Derek Walcott - "The Prodigal"



I rarely sit and read a book length poem. All I can say is I was overwhelmed. Most poetry today is very flat and not particularly deep. It never takes you below the surface. Derek doesn't just go below the surface, but rips out the roots, covers you in dirt, and asks you to find your way out again. He creates images and uses language that is almost unheard of these days. He more than earned that Noble Prize. This book chronicles his travels around the world during a period of time when all he wanted to do was get back to his island. Though I have to admit I found it a bit thick at times. This isn't a book you can read once and grasp every little detail of it like a Nicholas Sparks book.
If you want writing that is more epic in scope, then this is it.

posted by Out Of Jersey | 7:03 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home